Healthy eating while on the road

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by Commuter69, Apr 13, 2015.

1. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    unbelievably i gave a "thanks" to your post. I submit our differences lie within the experience range.:biggrin_2554: your posts have at times left me bewildered. anyway,i couldn't agree more with your reply.

i just re-read my post and hopefully BrenY883 will not misconstrue. no arsewholeness intended.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
  4. bigNATURE

bigNATURE Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Texas city, tx
    I don't know about y'all but my wife and I are both vegan, not meat no dairy, so we don't spend a dollar with truckstops. Fuel and free showers and parking. Loves does have organic dairy free almond clusters made by true north, that's something I'll buy from time to time. But we have all the whole foods, natural grocers, sprouts, krogers, king soopers, mom n pop organic spots all mapped out, the ones we can fit into and etc. Most krogers and king soopers a truck can get into. They both have plenty of natural and organic choices. THESE days it's not enough to eat just fruits and veggies, they gotta be organic, because anything that's not organic, and has been grown with genetically altered seeds, has a BOATLOAD of pesticides and chemicals laced in them that WILL irritate, cause, and make worse diabetes, intestine/bowel issues, and etc etc.

Just ar like the op said about the smoker gonna find his smoke, if u truly care about your temple (your health/body) then u WILL find many ways to do it.

once we get to one of our whole foods or krogers or whatever, we usually stock up on one to three weeks of groceries. ALSO, we buy 14 gallons of DISTELLED water, and store them in the side battery box, the one the batteries aren't in. These waters can be bought at Wal-Mart and etc.

good luck🙌

Dr_Fandango44 and x#1 Thank this.
  5. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    i am a vegetarian. i tell all the women that i am a vagitarian unless my girlfriend is present but then she knows all my humor. asking waitresses about the vagitarian menu will produce results whether positive or not.

still on a sheriff department hire list,i can't help but wonder how i performed better than 15 out of 18 total wannabe's,all at the very least half of my age.it is not due to clean living but the healthy eating certainly didn't hurt. vegetarian for 21 years now i think it is. i had no idea other drivers are vegans or vegetarians.

vegan huh? don't know how ya'll do without the cheese and eggs from time to time. milk too. one must REALLY read the ingredients of food for verification regarding exactly what or rather what is not in the food we consume.

bigNATURE Thanks this.
  6. bigNATURE

bigNATURE Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Texas city, tx
    Lol yea vegan vegan! It's real easy. The other day at an indian restaurant in elizabethtown,ky they put cream in my food after being SUPER clear to them not to and I was SICK for about 14 hours straight. My body just won't accept anything animal product related! We call cheese and stuff liquid meat ha! But hey, to each his own. U surprised me enough today with your vegetarian post. I told my wife there's gotta be some other Vegans/vegatarian out here on the road. The wife and I get to feeling like Michael Jackson on his thriller film with all the zombies -out here around all these Petro fast food spots at the fuel desks and the roast ball park franks and mostly everybody walking around with their stomachs hanging out, sick, and afflicted. It's a sad scene but the truck stops know they can capitalize off our on the go life style, and our I deserve to "eat good" attitude. Just like the man that just spent a solid hour tarping his load, now he thinks he DESERVES a hot chemical filled rib sandwich from the petro fuel island. It's sad!... But definitely not discouraging me

7. old scummy

old scummy Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Texas
    I have both a mini fridge and a plug in Coleman cooler that I keep stocked with meats, veggies, and eggs. I also keep sauerkraut, pickles, beets, oysters, tuna, sardines etc in a box under the bunk. An assortment of freeze dried meals I picked up at Bass Pro. Cup-o-noodles, peanut butter, water etc. I operate largely unsupported by truck stops. Showers and laundry being the exceptions. I will buy a coffee every now and then. I use a crockpot exclusively for cooking. I'm big on stew.

8. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Ok, great tips, I just don't want to fall into bad health habits.... Now a joke:

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what do humanitarians eat???

9. STransport

STransport Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Hudson Valley, NY
    How do you clean it without a sink/dishwasher?

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Jugs of water paper towels dish soap.Its not that hard cleaning it from the trk.

11. RetiredUSN

RetiredUSN Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    The Petro has a great salad bar when you have time. My wife used to dehydrate some fruits for me that I would snack on.

I'm not a true health food junkie, but I did try to avoid too much sugar, and greasy foods on the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.