Healthy Recipes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by Pinkwasp, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Pinkwasp

Pinkwasp Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2015
    image.jpg
    Total time 10 mins.
    Makes 12-14
    Make at home

1/2 cup pitted dates
    1 cup dried apples
    1/2 cup oats
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Cimbine everything in a food processor and process until it's a thick paste.
    Use about a teaspoon and roll into balls. If you want bite size 1/4 teaspoon.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pinkwasp

Pinkwasp Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Sweet Potato Chips (Baked)
    image.jpg
    1. Slice sweet potatoes with a mandoline fitted with a thin slice blade. If you don't have a mandoline, get one. I firmly don't believe it's humanly possible to slice potatoes as evenly and thinly by hand. A mandoline will be your best friend-- as long as you remember to use the hand guard so you don't slice your fingers off. Seriously, this guy is helpful but can be harmful. It's better to waste the little bit of potato at the end of the guard than to have blood gushing everywhere.
    2. Once your sweet potatoes are all sliced, put them into a large bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. You want them coated but not drenched. There is a difference. It helps to start off modest and add more if necessary. Make sure the potatoes look coated but not too glossy. There shouldn't be excess oil at the bottom of the bowl. This is the time to season, as well. You can do the traditional salt and pepper. I like to do Kosher salt and cinnamon. So good. Again toss everything together well. You can also add more seasoning after they are baked, if necessary.
    3. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread sweet potato slices out into an even single layer.
    4. Bake in a preheated 200 degree F oven for 45 minutes. Flip sweet potatoes over. Then bake for an additional 45 minutes to 1 hour until sweet potatoes look super toasted.
    5. Allow to cool on the baking sheet before serving. They will crisp as they cool.
    6. Serve, eat, and enjoy this healthy chip alternative!

4. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I don't see where the caramel comes in ??

5. Pinkwasp

Pinkwasp Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2015
    That's the concept of the dates. It's a healthier alternative but if you wanted real caramel you can add it. :)

6. Pinkwasp

Pinkwasp Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Strawberry Salad

Attached Files:

7. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    O.K. just that i read the title: cinnamon caramel,apple energy bars.

8. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    When I'm on the road I make this simple dish that takes less than 2 mins to make.

1 Haas Avocado ......chopped.
    Balsamic Vinegar,
    Olive oil.
    Shredded romano/parmesan cheese.

Place the chopped avocado on a plate.
    You can mix the balsamic with the olive oil in a separate container to make vinaigrette or drizzle both over the avocado.
    Sprinkle the Romano/parmesan cheese over the avocado. You can add chopped garlic too.
    The cheese will soak and blend into the "vinaigrette"
    Its simple and delicious. And of course its very nutritious.
    I'm not sold on the caramel being "healthy" I think thats a stretch. A simple caramel can be made by heating brown sugar with butter in a pan over heat on a stove. No doubt though, it tastes great.
    I guess my idea of "healthy" is a tad different to many others.
    The previous 2 recipes sound great but we are back to the real problem of carbs.
    I'm afraid I would gain weight in a heartbeat with those but each to his own. But the salad would work though.
    I'll stick to my very low carb diet. Works for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.