Hearing protection until they fix engine fan

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by J Man, Oct 16, 2017.

1. J Man

J Man Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Middle of nowhere
    Hi all.

Engine fan in my Kenworth/Cummins/probably about a 2013 truck doesn't shut off anymore. Pulling overweight, so hours of 1800-1900 rpm and that fan really roars. Been a few weeks (trying to get shop to fix it) and I've noticed that something in the pitch of that fan really hurts my ears after a while. My wife says I'm yelling without realizing it and my ears feel stuffed with cotton, so I'd better do something. Started using regular foam ear plugs from the shop and they block too much sound. Are all foam earplugs the same? Can I find some that don't block quite as much? Has anyone found a solution for ear protection while driving other than foam plugs?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It's probably a loose connector or air fitting somewhere and probably a relatively easy fix once you find the problem causing the fan clutch to remain stuck in the engaged position. Shut off the engine, then turn the key to the on position (don't start), then carefully listen for leaking air under the hood, or fiddle with connectors and harnesses and see if you can hear the clutch disengage.

Is the AC button off? (maybe the AC or defroster system is faulty and calling for fan to be on) This can sometimes be caused by having a refrigerant leak or otherwise too high pressure in the refrigerant system

J Man Thanks this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I'd bet that has more to do with the noise and affect on your hearing than the fan. Most class 8 diesels don't like to be spun up that fast. Normal operating range is only going to be 1500-1800 at most, but probably even lower than that these days. Instead of trying blow up the motor turning 1900 rpm's, grab the next gear. If the next gear won't keep you moving, ease out of it and drive a little slower to keep it within the operating range of the engine. It may not even be a problem with the fan...the computer might be telling the fan to engage because you're running it too hard. Ease out of it a bit and see if that helps...try to keep it at 1500-1600 cruising RPM. Whatever speed you can maintain in a gear that puts your RPMs in that range is where you'll have to be satisfied with running.

ChaoSS Thanks this.
  5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    All I can think of is get the truck fixed. Probably not the best idea to be wearing ear protection while driving, IMO. As I have flashbacks to screaming back and forth to my dad in the passenger seat in the old GMC Brigadier 6-71 Detroit with no muffler. LOL Have you tried cotton?

6. J Man

J Man Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Middle of nowhere
    Thanks for catching that. Standard operating RPM is 1600-1800 and not the 1800-1900 that I wrote. Will wind it up to 1800 attacking the bottom of a hill, and we let the jake run up to 1900 before we brake it down, but 90% of the time we are at 1700. Yah, hours of 1900 would be no bueno. ;) They had a Cummins tech come in and talk to us about the motors and they said 18, but letting the jake run them up to 19 is fine.

And the engine fan did run normally if the AC is maxed out, its summer time or I'm pulling a hill. But this thing won't shut off even when I'm coming home empty at 3am and the engine temp is down below 170. That is when it gets to be unbearable, when the motor is quiet, the world is quiet, and its cold out and still roaring away like a lunatic going through town.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.