Heart attack, drivers license, BC

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canucklehead, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Hmmm....

I am going to put my car back on the road next week. I took the insurance off because I didn't want to waste money. Of course ICBC requires ID (your drivers license) to do so. That will be a good test.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    A guy I used to talk with often had a small one and ignored it which proved to be a fatal mistake 6 months later... about 6 or 7 years ago he was descending into merrit and quickly stopped his truck opened the door to flag down help but he fell dead onto the pavement .. GET proper advice even if it takes awhile to find it from the medical community

tinytim Thanks this.
  4. Canucklehead

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Was that guy's name Danny Chapelis?

5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Eve I can’t remember his last name

6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You do, in fact, have both a legal and moral obligation to inform the appropriate regulatory bodies if you are not fit for driving.

@Snoopycda is correct and you would have zero grounds for a suit. How ever much insurance you have paid for in the past is irrelevant.

7. Canucklehead

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I have 4 million safe miles. Accumulated both by trucking and driving cars. Therefore every cent of insurance I've paid, which is in the 10s of thousands by now, has been a complete and utter waste of my money. Only one time did someone hit me, when I was a rowdy teenager, and he paid me cash on the spot. I figure ICBC either owes me free insurance for the rest of my life, or a #### good new vehicle.

And if I figured I was unfit to drive, I would have stopped myself from driving. I don't need big nanny state to be my parent. I have felt fine, no different than the day before I had the supposed heart attack, 5 minutes after I got to the hospital.

As I said, I don't need a parent.

8. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    In Alberta, when a class 1 driver reaches the ripe old age of 45, they must have a medical and license renewal done every two years. At 65, it must be done every year.
    I have been an LCV driver since 1990 so I have had to get them done every two years regardless of age.

I have had two drivers die of heart attack sitting in their seat behind the wheel. I am sure they felt fine also, or they would not have come to work that day. Luckily one was able to pull over and the other was on a lunch break or it could have been a bad day for other people too.

AModelCat and Canucklehead Thank this.
  9. Canucklehead

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Even sudden heart failure (the true killer where you drop and you're dead), gives you indications in advance. Unless someone is brain dead to begin with, they'll feel different on the same day in advance. I recommend everybody learn the signs and symptoms and pay attention to yourself.

Myself I suppose I had a mini heart attack a few hours earlier. Had a few of the classic symptoms. But nope, I didn't clue in at the time. Just lay down for an hour or so.

But considering I had the classic widowmaker later that day, I would have had 45 minutes (in my case) to find a place to pull over if I had been driving that day. And yes I went into the collapse stage, and even then, I had roughly 2 minutes of lucidness in order to pull over safely if driving.

Again, I recommend, be aware.

10. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I had a hip replacement June. While in recovery I was in a LOT of pain, sciatica was crazy and med they gave me didn't seem to touch it and I just did the guy thing and sucked it up.
    2 hrs later while still coming out of anastasia, I felt weird and passed out. Woke up with the nurse doing chest compressions.
    Instead of ortho unit I end up in cardiac unit. I Braded down to 30, which is a faint or passed out, but I kept going to asistolie, or flat line. They did blood every 8 hrs, full EKG every 12 HRS, heart untrasound Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday and friday, and send me for die and camera into the heart test Friday am. (Forget what it's called)
    Found nothing. I didn't have a heart attack, no blockages what so ever. Iso after 5 days in the cardiac floor they said i had a VASO VEGAL (spelling?) Episode which is basically, I fainted or passed out due to the stresses my system was under, pain etc.
    For most you go down to 30bpm and then recover. Some people do it at the sight of a needle or blood. Ive never passed out, unless self inflicted in my younger party days..... I went flat line. Apparently it's rare.
    Had follow ups with cardiac guy and heart is fine, I was told not to drive for 8 weeks and not to work for 3 months from the hip surgeon.
    I asked the cardiac guy what to tell insurance, company, etc and he said nothing? Not sure where that leaves me tho? I did have some kind of cardiac episode? He doesn't think it will happen again, but did tell me if I ever go for surgery again to tell the surgeon and anestitest (spelling again)
    So guess I say squat?
    I want to get away from van work and with the new hip I'm good to do deck work again so I'm looking at deck companies to sign my truck back on with. So when filling out the applications I don't mention it? Not sure what to do?

Canucklehead Thanks this.
  11. Canucklehead

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I wouldn't mention it unless you were on compo or something else that would leave a record that the public could access. As for what happened, a guess would be they must've knocked something loose when you were taking that med for sciatica, and it did it's thing and disappeared. Quack medicine, but a possibility.

What was that med? Cuz I'm cursed with sciatica too.

Good that you can get back to deck work. That's where the money is these days. I can't myself, just too many injuries over the years, and the ones after 40 never healed right. So It's just cans and vans for me now, sigh.

As for myself, I am not going to mention my heart escapade unless I legally have to. Most application packages want prior injury info to see if you're a compo queen. Compo records can be accessed. But there is always a question about is there anything that prevents you from doing the job. If there is, so say, if there isn't don't say a word.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.