Heartland Express, Inc. Acquires Gordon Trucking, Inc.

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by BigRigFisher324, Nov 11, 2013.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

I've hated and resisted bonuses , awards, and incentives in my previous career. I still have no use for them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

Re bonuses: In my current regional company, the idle bonus is based on the COMPANY average, not mine. So while I don't idle (I hate, hate, HATE it!) my percentage, as part of the whole, is above some number picked by somebody. So, no bonus. Give me a break.

4. DenaliDad

The small, easily-changed things will change first. In my previous career, I suffered two mergers. The first airline I flew for was the one I still think was the best ever, Piedmont Airlines. The management team really believed that tHe folks in the back were important; after all, without them, there is no income. They gave the entire can of soda and a cup of ice free to each passenger who wanted it. Their merger with US Airways ended that on Day One. The flight attendants were to fill a cup to the brim with ice and pour warm soda until the bubbles hit the brim, then give the cup to the passenger. You can imagine 1) how little soda they got, and 2) how really unhappy the passengers were.

5. snowd21

snowd21 Light Load Member

May 19, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow. That is surprising, but what a perfect mix. Heartland and gordon together gives a powerful position in the industry, for the carrier. I wonder if it will be good for the drivers? Is Gordon generally more liked then heartland by its drivers?

6. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    It's really difficult to tell at this point. Gordon had some negative threads. At least one cheerleader thread. Very little here on HTLD despite larger size (2845 vs 2000). Gordon cheerleaders very active and would actively challenge claims of low pay, low miles. So what was that all about??

The merger revealed Gordon was a regional short haul carrier all along. Part of Gordon expansion was acquiring regionals, so I'm told.

The bulk, 66.1% under 400 miles!!

See: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...tland/187734-the-truth-about-heartland-2.html Claims HTLD very retaliatory, verbally abusive to drivers, unfair or false derogs on DAC/HireRight. HTLD has a 50% higher Driver Safety (higher is worse) than Gordon, despite better scores than Gordon on Vehicle Maintenance and HOS. Apparently if you're late to a top 10 account there's a ban hammer. Claim of retaliation even when engine failure caused driver to arrive late.

7. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
  8. CapeBuffalo

CapeBuffalo Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Oak Ridge TN
    So what is it like to work for Heartland? Here different opinions from different drivers

9. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Believe me, I'm no cheerleader (wayyyy to hairy legs....)

I can say that when I was with GTI I had good miles (Temp Control 2800-3000/wk). The only bad parts were not getting me home for home time, cancelling approved 34 resets on the road (with 3hrs left to go), calling you out early off of home time, shops not fixing the problem you report.

All told, they weren't that bad. I really liked the apu's and swivel seats. My rig had doors over the cabinets instead of nets. My final straw (we all have one) was when they didn't get me home for my anniversary despite 4 weeks notice and multiple reminders. A day late (or early) would have been fine, but the DM and FM gave me an attitude "we don't care" and it cost them a really productive solo driver.

10. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Just posted update on Scott Gordon's money. Scott's HTLD shares up $310,353 since acquisition 15 days ago, Nov. 11, 2013: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...drivers-experience-gordon-12.html#post3676393

/On another thread, I think Palazon also said Gordon cut him loose for merely looking into driving for Interstate. CougFan experienced the same thing although it wasn't Interstate, as I recall. He gave 10 days notice and was brought in and his notice made effective on Day 1. CougFan has the last laugh though, now paid hourly with overtime.

Palazon Thanks this.
  11. chowick1966

chowick1966 Medium Load Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Bloomington,IL
    A lot of companies in this business do that. When I DID hand in my notice with Gordon I took at least a little precaution in that I was actually AT home just in case....didnt want to be left stranded. But I also withdrew after I had thought about things twice and have had no comebacks...either in being terminated for the temerity of looking into alternative employment or by not giving me any freight....I have had plenty to deal with in the time I have been out. Roehl was a different story, they cut me loose straight away, so I had to get up to the terminal in Gary and retrieve all my stuff from my truck.

tow614 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.