Heartland Express, Inc. Acquires Gordon Trucking, Inc.

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by BigRigFisher324, Nov 11, 2013.

1. slow_lane55

slow_lane55 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Eugene, Oregon
    One reason I'm thinking of GTI is because of their presence on I-5. Since I live about 2 miles from Exit 195 running up & down I-5 might allow a quick swing by the house if time allows.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    You have a yard in Millersburg not too far away. Should be able to relay loads easy.

With your location Heavy Haul may be an option worth looking into.

4. scotty1216

scotty1216 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I could give a crap who buys who as long as I'm getting paid good

5. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    That's the point scotty...

heartland buys gordon.. eventually gordon will become heartland...

we must now consider what heartland drivers currently make, benefits, time off policies and.company history to get an idea as to what the future may hold for current gordon drivers.

while I dont believe anyone should jump ship based solely on their past it gives us something to look for.

I believe we should give things a chance... while I wont stay if my pay decreases there are other factors to consider.

6. Greenwoods4

Greenwoods4 Bobtail Member

May 28, 2014
    My gf and I are at GTI and until six months ago we were very happy. Had a few shop issues but team miles were great, averaged about 6000 per week. Then heartland bit...we didn't like it but wanted to give them a chance. What we found as a team is a huge reduction in miles and types of runs. Before we maybe had a 500 mile run to get us somewhere to pick up a 1500+ mile run but that was rare. Now we are finding that most of our runs are average of 600 miles, some even less than 200. We may get one per week that is over 1000 miles. While a 600 mile load may be good for a solo, getting one a day for a team just cut our miles in half! Then about half of these loads are live load, unload or both...just yesterday we sat 3 hours unloading a 600 mile load and then another 7 hours loading an 800 mile load. We are now averaging around 4000 miles per week if we are lucky. We remained quiet and just hoped it would pick up come spring time but it hasn't. We questioned our DM and was told freight was just slow...well we have been out here long enough to call BS on that one! The loads we have been getting can't even be called super solo because they have time for a solo to easily do them, and we drive as a true team, around the clock, not interested in super solo.
    In all we have given them six months, plenty of time to work things out and get our miles back, but it doesn't seem to be happening. We really don't want to switch companies and we are sad to see what we lost with GTI after the acquisition, but having our pay cut almost in half for the last six months just won't work for us. The majority of GTI drivers I have talked to in the last few months have similar problems, some are hanging in a little longer, some are doing like us and looking for another company.
    I even considered moving into the office at either GTI or heartland. I checked into their office positions and applied for several that wanted driver experience as well as a college degree. I have a BS as well as Masters work, teaching experience, management experience and nine years of driving...I didn't even receive a generic response telling me the position was filled or they would keep my application on file. This just seems unprofessional all around and I'm not really interested in working for that type of company. Best of luck to those still hanging in there.

7. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Confirming your observations. Freight is out there.

@ another company now myself.

As a solo I ran over 14k miles last month.

The 3 top teams ran well over 20k.

Sad that GTI is not even running their teams well.

8. Greenwoods4

Greenwoods4 Bobtail Member

May 28, 2014
    Very sad, it was a great place to work. The final straw was when we saw several ads stating teams are being hired at .56 cpm, we are at 49.5 cpm, a half cent from top pay of .50 cpm...at least that is what they told us. The last two days we have called and sent several messages inquiring as to why new drivers are getting more money even at the lower end of the new scale while current drivers with more experience are still getting paid using the old pay scale. We keep getting the run around, they tell us to talk to this person or that person, then they say someone else, calls aren't returned, messages unanswered...obvious we are just getting the runaround. If the pay scale changed it should have changed for current drivers as well as new drivers!

Victor_V Thanks this.
  9. exhawkeye

exhawkeye Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Forney,TX
    So do they call you guys Heart-Ons now? Sinne the merge with Heartland

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.