Heartland Express, Inc. - Coralville, Ia.?

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by thekidsixer, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Gitty

Gitty Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    in my truck
    Talked to a fleet manager friend today. He told me that last month, Heartland fired 400 drivers last month for BS stuff. Also another, 40 AT1 drivers fired also, last month. The friends i know here have no problems with filing for unemployment on them. I know several that are collecting the unemployment now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    More than likely it's because you live in Vermont. Not a good place to live and be a truck driver for the most part.

4. Catsladyfish

Catsladyfish Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Darien, GA

That statement is absolutely true. They also have issues with drivers idling the 9400i's AND the ProStars when it's 77 degrees and above. If you're at a terminal taking your 10 hour break and idling, even if it's 80 degrees outside, they'll knock on your door and tell you to "Turn the Truck Off Now". I don't understand this as it's hard to sleep when you're hot so therefore you don't get any rest. Also, mileage has dropped slightly from an average of 2600 miles per week to 2000-2200 miles per week. :biggrin_25513:

5. Gitty

Gitty Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    in my truck
    This happened last month also.
    Did you hear about the Atlanta driver that sat in the line for inspection on his 10 hr break, couldn't sleep cause had to keep pulling up his truck. And no idling even though it was 84 out. They wouldn't let him out from his load to get sleep. He pulled out and went right through scale house on s 75. Walked right in told them about what was going on. DOT called Heartland about it. Driver got fired for telling. However he is collecting unemployment. He will be going to court with it and supenoining(sp) DOT that were involved with it. He had a picture of what was wrote on the QC and dispatches response. He also showed it to DOT. ALWAYS CYA!!!

6. deadhead

deadhead Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    I used to drive for Heartland 2 years ago and had mostly good experience. Can anyone update me on how it is working there now. Is freight down like most companies? Average weekly miles regional vs systems? Any big changes in pay, rules, terminals etc.
    Am currently hauling GM parts and things are slow to say the least. Need to find something good in Asheville, NC area if anyone has suggestions.
    Thanks

7. Gitty

Gitty Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    in my truck
    Go ahead and check my posts and you'll find out what heartland is up to now days. They ain't what they used to be when Russ ran it! Just Saying!!!

deadhead Thanks this.
  8. deadhead

deadhead Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks Gitty. I reviewed yours and other's posts. Sounds like Heartland has gotten even more Heartless. I don't see as many of their trucks out on the road anymore. I guess I understand why now. Thanks for the reply. Think I'll cross them off the list.

Gitty Thanks this.
  9. Wheat Light

Wheat Light Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Salem, IL
    I live in Knoxville and work out of Kingsport regional. I've been here 8 months so far. They aren't a totally bad company, but not a great one either. I've been averaging 2000 miles a week real steady. Also been getting home every weekend. So far I've only worked 2 weekends in one month, and that was July. Worked over the fourth (my wife went to FL to her parents, told them if I didn't get there then work me) and the last weekend (was taking a trip to my parents in IL, leaving Wednesday so I worked to make some miles for that week, and I did get home to sleep at home Sunday night).

I don't know, I hear all these horror stories about them, but I really don't have any. I've done pretty well for myself. I'm not getting rich, but I'm not starving and thats saying a lot with today's economy. I'm still looking to find something more local, but who isn't? I really like my dispatcher up in Kingsport and we get along good. He's a pretty straight shooter in my opinion, and keeps me moving. I do hate calling in to Iowa after hours or for a PO or something. Those people up there think they are better than all us truck drivers. There are some pretty nice people I've talked to in each department, but some jerks, too. Luckily I've been able to deal with my dispatcher most of the time and I don't have to deal with them.

I don't know. Like I said, they definitely aren't a GREAT company, but I've been able to make a living with them.

10. Suicide-Jocky

Suicide-Jocky Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Hammer Lane
    What he could have done was to log it On Duty Not Driving, as that is what it really was. They would have no choice but to give him a 10 hour break.

11. Wheat Light

Wheat Light Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Salem, IL
    Quick question: why would the driver sit in the inspection line for 10 hours anyway? The line is only open from a little after 8 till before 5pm. Sometimes they open later, and close sooner. If you leave before they open or after they close you don't need a stupid inspection slip. If you get there at 8, when they open, you can't leave till 6 for your 10 anyway, park the thing and go to sleep. I'm not standing up for their inspection line, I think they are stupid in how they do it, (the concept is good, but you can waste half a day easy in the stupid thing at the right terminals) but you won't be sitting in one 10 hours at any terminal because the thing isn't open that long.

I personally haven't done too bad with them. They aren't a great company, but I don't think they are all bad either. They are middle of the road for the most part. I've made some money, been home some. I really like my terminal (Kingsport, TN) and my dispatcher. He is a good guy. I'm not going to stick up for some of their dumb policies, but you have to know how to play the game, just like any other company I've worked for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.