Heartland Express questions...

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by Wheat Light, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Wheat Light

Wheat Light Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Salem, IL
    Hi all. I've posted this on some other message boards but can't seem to got any responses to it. Please let me know if you have any info about Heartland.

I've been out of the truck since August. Looking to get back in. Drove for 3 years. I've been looking at Heartland Express. They are on my super-short list, but I want to know more. Here's a few questions:

*Do you get to pick out the terminal you want to run out of (as a regional driver) as long as you live in the driving range for that office, or do you have to take what they assign you? I'm in the radius for 3 terminals, but I want to drive out of Memphis.

*How are the regional miles out of Memphis? Weekly average. Closest terminal is Kingsport, TN. What about the miles for Kingsport regional?

*How is the equipment? What motor/tranny? Good power? Are they at least half way comfortable?

*How are the terminals? Are they clean and well-maintained? Do they have food services, showers, laundry, etc. I worked for Scheider. One this I liked about them was their terminals. At least you could get a meal and a shower.

*How are the customers? Is it really 85% drop and hook?

*How is orientation? Do you have to pay for the room/meals, or is it on their tab? I don't have a very good job, so I can't afford to spend too much money at orientation. How about transportation to? Bus ticket provided? Rental car? Where is the orientation? Different places, or always in Iowa City?

*How are the majority of drivers at Heartland? Are they professional looking and acting drivers? I don't dress up, but I shave my face and wash my clothes from time to time.

*What is their fuel network? Do they use primarily Pilot, TA, what? I prefer to stop at a Petro if I get a chance, but I'll buy the fuel where they tell me to...

Thats about it for me. I'm trying to make an informed decision. I don't want a big argument going on here about if Heartland is good or not. I just want to know the facts and make my own decision.

Thanks a lot for all your help!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Equip is is Intl 9400I with 10spd tranny mated to the cummins ISX. I can't answer anything else but have heard from a driver that they are getting the Prostar.

Hunter

4. Wheat Light

Nov 2, 2008
    Salem, IL
    I saw a new Heartland Pro Star the other night matter of fact. Looked pretty good. They are only going to high seniority drivers right now, you know how that goes.

Former Heartland driver on another board said he got to crawl around in one of the new trucks. Said it was real nice. They are ordering the premium interior package. Most of what I can find that I consider negative about them is that their trucks are stripped down pretty bare.

Still looking.

5. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    On one of the other websites, Class A Drivers, one of the moderators, Twilight Flyer, works for Heartland, but not as a driver. He might be able to help you out.

6. Wheat Light

Nov 2, 2008
    Salem, IL
    I talked to TF yesterday. I didn't find too much info on Heartland on any message board. What bad I did find was mostly the fact that they run lots of 300-400 miles loads, which is o.k. since even those drivers agree they are 85% drop and hook or more.

A lot of other "bad" things came from guys who live 100 miles from an interstate (or in a bad area for freight) not getting home. I live 5 miles from I75 just North of Knoxville. Every company goes right through here about everyday. Plus I only live 1 1/2 hour from the terminal (Kingsport) I'll be driving out of.

I sent in my application, then called Twilight Flyer in his office and got the ball rolling. I won't be headed to orientation until Dec 8th (hopefully in Kingsport, but possibly in Atlanta). Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes. I hope to keep track of my weekly treks and post them in a thread on Class A drivers.

See you all on the road.

7. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Paul, I believe Heartland is one of the few places you can make money from as they have a good pay rate. Also, it is one of the few places where a driver from FL can be employed.

Hunter

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.