HeartLand Express Unaccountability

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by PastTrucker, May 6, 2016.

1. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Hey OP do a little research next time and not depend on a recruiter to be 100 percent honest. There job is to sell you on the company. Do they lie, bend the truth, or whatnot, yeah some do. How about accountability on your part? More details would be helpful.

lostheart and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    Some cheese with that

4. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    Recruiter is synonymous with BIG FAT LIAR.

PastTrucker Thanks this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Companies will pay for your transportation if say you didn't get hired during orientation but to leave on your own well then you pay for your way back home.Of course they should pay but that's how the industry is.I would chalk this up as a lesson learned and don't trust anymore companies or recruiters.

Frank Speak and reefer75 Thank this.
  6. PastTrucker

PastTrucker Bobtail Member

May 6, 2016
    I made myself clear to the recruiter that I don't like driving overnight. Plain & Simple. I don't mind starting out at 04:00, driving until 20:00 if necessary, but not overnight. He said that I need to expect overnight occasionally. Ok, I accept it. At orientation I was told 85-90% overnight driving.
    I came to orientation all geared up & ready to hit the road for at least 4-6 weeks without the need to be home. I was authorized to rent a car in order to bring all my gear. At orientation I was told that I would only be reimbursed up to the cost of a bus ticket.
    I was told to get my med card updated. I did. At orientation I was told I needed to get my med card updated at their provider, at my cost.

I understand that recruiters tell you what you want to hear. I ALWAYS ask questions, and verify info, IN WRITING through e-mail. I understand that I have a choice to continue after discovering I had been sold a pile of #### or leave. I understand that I have a fat chance of being reimbursed my expenses, and actually don't care. That's the cost of learning.
    What bothers me the most is then being ignored. Passed onto person after person for accountability, and getting none, especially from the CEO Michael Gerdin.
    As I stated in my original post, truckers need to be treated with respect, dignity and above all, honesty. The #### piles on day after day, hour after hour, all the way from your dispatcher to shipping & receiving.
    I have always been anti union, but if there was ever an industry needing a good union, it's the truck drivers.
    Enough said, good luck and God bless to all of you truckers out there.

7. reefer75

reefer75 Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    midwest
    I agree 100% but this industry all it cares about is how much money they can squeeze out of the driver before replacing them.But to be honest it never has changed since I started just gotten bigger and worst.

PastTrucker Thanks this.
  8. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    When I drove for Heartland Express I figure about half my driving was Night time driving. That's to be expected with the way they operate. You should count yourself lucky you left when you did. HEARTLESS, HEARTBURN SUCKS! Just because a recruiter lied to you is no reason to expect them to reimburse you for your troubles. This company doesn't care about the driver's working for them. Why would they care about someone who didn't even work for them? Good luck on your next job.

GirlFriday76, reefer75 and PastTrucker Thank this.
  9. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    I'll never forget what they did to their drivers, as far as idling, when fuel was $4.00 a gallon

10. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    So you got it in writing that they run only overnight occasionally? You got it in writing that they would pay for the rental car? I kind of doubt they would put any of that in writing, but if they did, take it to a lawyer and file a breach of contract suit.

At two years in, you ought to know how these mega-crap companies run. We talk about it here all the time. They tell you whatever crap you need to hear to get you in the seat. They drag you to a worthless 3 day, often unpaid, orientation. At the orientation they send you to their doctor to evaluate what risk you are to their company. They fail to pay any extras they promise. And, almost all the work is overnight short runs for small bucks. Nothing new to this forum, but thanks for reminding us all.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    It's certainly guaranteed that recruiters and dispatchers are chronic liars.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.