Heavy Haul Miscellaneous Thoughts, Ideas and Questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Oscar the KW, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Yeah , I think I was permitted for 146,000

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Thought you were supposed to have your new trailer by now?

4. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
    Trail King was supposed to finish it last Friday but they are running late. Should be done Wednesday and I am headed to SD a week from Monday. Going to spend Tuesday at the factory measuring, weighing, calibrating air scales and figuring out how the #### thing works

Excited and very nervous

5. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    What kind of air scales do you have?
    I have Air Weigh on board air scales on my unit. The best tips I got from them when I had them installed was:
    -Resist the temptation to "pad" the loaded weights so that you have some extra weight on your permit.
    -Always calibrate using the same scale for both loaded and unloaded, on a known accurate scale.
    The reason for this is, the sensors read the air pressure in the suspension of 64ths per PSI. That is 4160 units in 65PSI of air bag pressure. The whole system uses precise measurements of PSI into such micro-calibrated amounts and then uses a mathematical formula to calculate the "weight" and displays it as "pounds" on the display for our use. Even a small percentage of added "padding" will throw out the final calculation from being as accurate as it should be. Anytime you make any sort of changes to anything suspension wise, you will have to recalibrate the system for more accuracy.
    When everything is calibrated properly, I have had my system read within 300lbs (or less) per group on approx 180,000lbs gross. I consider that close enough to add 6-700 lbs and order permits without much concern.

6. Rontonio

Aug 9, 2009
    HH I will have factory installed air weigh scales as well. They have agreed to use their weight blocks for calibration when I get to the factory to accept the trailer.

I won't be running the super complex loads you are but it is a big step up for me. Already spoke to the Southern California inspector about certifying for CA as a 10 axle.

7. RGN

RGN Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2014
    What HH said. I'll add one more thing from my experience; use scales that have really flat approaches even if you are long.

I've got Air Weigh & last trip the drive/steer/lift weight was going +/- from actual weight the whole trip, not much but enough to notice. The drive HCV is bad & has a dead spot, ride height is visibly OK but that small dead area throws the reading off. Now I need to calibrate it again with the new HCV. Takes some time at the local gravel pit to get it right- tractor empty, tractor/trailer empty, put their loader on & weigh everything loaded, dump the lift loaded calculate & set that weight. Take your time or it will bite you- "trust but verify"

8. Heavy Hammer

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    10axle is bigger than me dude, I'm just a lowly 9axle...
    I forgot to add the flat approach thingy as well...thanks for catching that RGN!
    Try and load it as close to max permit weights as you can, the closer to the absolute max heavy side you can be when calibrating, the more accurate the system will be. I really like mine, and I think it's probably the best option I've ever put on a unit. When your doing stuff with weight, and there isn't a scale onsite, there's only one word for them...VISA...er, I mean PRICELESS!
    I'm sure it will seem like a ginormous step when you put the first real big, ugly, heavy load on 'er and you take that first tight corner and she heels over on ya...think you can still the the imprint of the seat cushion stitching on my derrière from that one! After a couple months or so, it will become old hat, and you'll think "this really isn't that big of a deal, why was I so worried?" Then it'll scare you again, that's when you'll really know You Got This!
    Have fun with it, I'm sure you'll do just fine...

9. Heavy Hammer

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    I LOVE OK!
    Ok, fine that was sarcastic...
    yeah I really like bouncing, jarring, banging, and hearing from my rear pilot car (cause I always need two there!) "hey, I think something just vibrated or broke off your trailer" (cause the road is sooooo smooth), and for the bargain basement, discount price of $998.00!!! or more every stinkin time I go through that he77ho7e of ~45ish miles lovingly referred to as Oklahoma.

10. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Rontonio is your trailer in elk point sd?

11. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

No his trl. should be at the main plant there on the west edge of Mitchel on the south side of the interstate..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.