Heavy Haul Miscellaneous Thoughts, Ideas and Questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Oscar the KW, Feb 8, 2015.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I did with an 880 Grove on a 9 axle beam in Huntington Wv. turned 1 street to early, map showed it connected to where I want to be so I went for it. Then there was a 10' railroad bridge. Dropped the jeep in an abandoned house drive way, hooked to the main trailer and backed it a mile and a half. The whole way there were 2 little boys on bicycles telling me every branch I hit and that my tires were rubbing my fenders. It was awesome.

Orangees and Mudguppy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I can't wait....
    I did have to back down several miles on a two lane Texas rd 14w when 2 of us could not make the left corner and had to turn right and back to the plant. Yes I looked like a drunk and I was only on 7 axles.

I have mastered most of the screw ups for my current trailer. So next week I will move into bigger and more exciting screw ups

As veterans you may all laugh at my expense

4. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

No not laugh maybe chuckle.. It happens to all sooner or later..

5. RGN

RGN Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2014
    I'll laugh WITH you, not at.

6. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    Same here...it's not in me to laugh at anybody that has the stones to step up, and purchase equipment of that caliber. It's respect pure and simple...once it's over and all is good, I'll defiantly laugh with you. And then I'll share one of my "it's a good thing he's cute" stories for you to laugh with me...

7. jrscott1970

jrscott1970 Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Since yall seem versed in RGN hauling, maybe you can answer this. I'm new to it. If I Had a 3axle rgn with a dollie, a 60k lb square box that won't take up the whole deck, how do I decide proper weight/axle distribution.

8. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    There is more missing than provided information, leaving a question that is impossible to answer.
    First; what's a dollie? The short trailer that connects to the 5th wheel of the truck and has a 5th wheel to connect the trailer to is called a jeep? The part that connects either via hook/clamp or pins to the rear of the trailer is called a booster. Knowing which you refer to as a "dollie" then tells where all the axles are located to begin to assess proper load placement.
    One A; how many axles does said component have?
    Second; knowing the dimensions of the load, in particular length in this case, can help with rough load concentration calculations.
    Third; does the load have a "heavy end", this refines those rough load calculations, but they're still rough.
    Fourth; how much length of well does the trailer have?
    Fifth; now we're starting to refine those rough calculations, what is the wheelbase of the trailer? From kingpin to center of the tri-axle group...but wait, if your "dollie" is a booster, now what is the wheelbase from the kingpin of the trailer to the center of the now four or five axle group(dependent on one or two axle booster)? If it is indeed a booster, is it common air, nitrogen compensating, hydraulic compensating, or plain old fashioned mechanical? If it's mechanical, can it be shimmed up or down to adjust according to weight factor?

This is what is called a dolly in the Heavy Haul world...they are used to move self supporting loads that don't need trailers to support them structurally, eg; bridge beams...the load sit on the small bunk in the center of the blue dolly and the dolly is either self compensating for steering, or done manually for tight corners and areas. The green dolly is attached to the back end of double neck trailer for steering control at the rear of an extraordinarily long trailer that would be impossible to maneuver safely without steering.

Attached Files:

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  9. jrscott1970

Apr 24, 2015
    Thank you, this helps a lot. Sorry for not knowing the definitions. It's questions on a test I haven't seen. I wad told worth basic math I could figure it out, I just stress over the unknown until I'm confident I have the right answer. I suppose I'll have to wait till I see the full question to get all the parameters. Thanks for your help.

10. jrscott1970

Apr 24, 2015
    Assuming it's an 8' 6" wide by 10' long box. Weight is evenly throughout the box, and the box weighs 40k lb. Can you give me a formula using a rgn that you know the dimensions of. I'm really interested in the formula, and I can figure it out using other applications. Thanks.

11. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    This is the "formula" I have always used. For arguments sake, you have a 40' loading platform (any type of trailer). The weight is distributed at each end of the platform. eg, King pin to center of rear axle group is 40'. If the load is set dead center at 20', then it is also 50% of the distance from each point of distribution. If you wanted 60% of the weight at the forward (fifth wheel) end of the platform you would move the load to a point 60% of 40' (24') from the rear end (center of trailer group). 75% would be 10' forward of the center of the platform and so on. Work from either end of trailer, doesnt make any difference. This may not be "the" formula but has worked well for me in the past & is mathematical.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.