Heavy Haul Miscellaneous Thoughts, Ideas and Questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Oscar the KW, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Yeah he's still here, in the process of specing a factory 4 axle star. He's pulling towers.

From what little I've heard I don't think I would personally ever consider going to Brewton.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Oscar & Six...just curious how the relationship between the mothership and the various companies works. Does each company and its trucks do its own thing until freight is slow for them or the mothership needs extra trucks?

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    They have their own freight. Warren, MidWest, Brewton And Energy...they have their own freight. It's not like when Western Express bought out SMX, ran off all the decent drivers, and left no trace except for the occasional SMX mudflap on a trailer. Seems like the only thing that changed were the trailers. Ours are yellow, Warrens are green, Midwest's are blue, Brewton's are black. Well, there the trailers are all almost similar, but IMO we have the worst! If they're ordering the same trailers, why do they get more securement points than we do? Well, Warren is picking up those ugly Coronados now.

I'm an owner OP, and so I don't see things the way that a company driver does. Some times you run into some KoolAid drinking, fishing trip lovin company schmuck that will try to trash talk, but why waste your time talking to a dingleberry? I run into Warren drivers, and Brewton drivers mainly, but I do see MidWest running between the Carolina's and the Dakotas. To me, it doesn't really matter what company name is on the door.

Saw one of your trucks...big blue W900. Owner operator?

5. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    You bet he is. Good ol' boy in a good ol' truck.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  6. Orangees

Orangees Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Iowa
    What's wrong with Witzco? Quality? Just curious as their manufacturing facility is just down the road from me...

(Never looked at lowboy trailers).

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    That should be in the job requirement.

Except for some of the guys at my company who can talk better than they can drive, and some of the KoolAid drinkers at Keen, most in the business seem to be good people.

8. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Hopefully, we can keep all the good ol' boys busy enough. Doesn't seem anyone feels good enough about their situation to drop $250K+ on any of the things we normally haul. Very little farm equipment, construction equipment, or factory equipment to move. Usually, we don't have all sectors weak at one time.

9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Kinda scary, I decided to put my trailer purchase on the back burner for now.

10. cpape

cpape Desk Jockey

Jul 15, 2010
    Dubuque, IA
    Definitely scary. I don't see anything on the ag side that suggests change next year. Combine that with the huge amount of equipment out there that is less than 5 years old. Not good. Manufacturing seems to have fallen on its face recently. The tricky part is being in a position to capitalize when the market swings back in our favor.

11. RGN

RGN Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Why the sad faces?
    Today's hot item, other than the quote request for a 35' Scarab boat move Fla.-to-Fla. I got from another broker. Everybody must be booked solid, brokers are contacting me!

"Request for quote
    Cat d11n
    KY > UT
    prefer quotes by email xxxxxxx@tql.com"

If I wasn't booked with other stuff that paid real money, I'd be all over it for sure! Not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.