Heavy Haul Miscellaneous Thoughts, Ideas and Questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Oscar the KW, Feb 8, 2015.

1. old iron

old iron Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Northern Wi
    On the harvest run we had a few tri axles like that. We was told the same thing about staying off the big road. Not that it would have mattered. I cant remember ever seeing anyone crossing an elevator scale under 90. And a few up around a buck ten. I remember them spring ride, single dual single making a heck of a racket on turns. Pop bang boom around the turn you go.

MJ1657, Oxbow and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    I have been looking for these pics for a year & just stumbled across them. Could not tell this story without them. 1998 mid Aug. I had picked up my new Murray 44 ton in july & dropped off my 87 model 60 ton for a "gooseneck tune-up". Picked it back up a few weeks later and had pulled it for about a month. Picked up an 826C trash compactor at the Lompoc, CA landfill & was on my way back to CAT in Santa Maria. About 5 miles east of the Vandenberg AFB gate, on Hwy 1 overcrossing of 135, the right link broke just as I got onto the concrete part of the overcrossing. Sounded like a shotgun going off in the cab. Luckliy I was in the 72 pete with hendrickson 44k susp. The view I had was like the view from the seat of a top fuel dragster. Everything a blurr & noise so so loud! The left front of the trailer was dragging. I got stopped still in the right lane within 1/4 mile. This was still on a 2% downgrade & the big left hand sweep had a pretty good super to it. The right drivers were 2" off the ground. My pilot car heard the bang & said he had never heard anything like that before. CHP showed up quick & gave me the lane. Called a mechanic out & he had to cut the other link so I gould drop the trailer. Another BANG. Chained the neck to the ramps, went to my yard & got my spare neck, put it on & winched myself back under the trailer. 3 hours. It was obvious BOTH links had hairline cracks in them, looking from the front, the left one was at 2 oclock & the drivers side was opposite at 10 oclock. Shortening the story, one of my customers had an identical trailer 5 years older, I called him the next morn & told him what happened. His links were cracked in the same place, barely visible without using a magnifier.
    link-1.jpg link-1.jpg link-2.jpg

Attached Files:

MJ1657, Oxbow, johndeere4020 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Heavy Hammer

Heavy Hammer Road Train Member

May 1, 2013
    In purgatory
    I haven't had one break on me yet. But I have been told it is an ungodly sound you will not soon forget.

truckdad Thanks this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Saw this old girl the other day...

image.jpg

cnsper, MJ1657, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    That's not old. More like a cadillac compared to this one...
    [​IMG]

Oxbow and truckdad Thank this.
  7. truckdad

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    2U or 17A Truckdad? The front idlers are not spoked, so I don't think it is a 3T.

9. truckdad

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    14a. What's the one SDP put up?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. 1951 ford

1951 ford Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Goddard, KS
    I realize this question is about 6 months old, but I will be finishing a setup like this tomorrow on a trailer. The driver told me by pinning the stinger onto the neck, instead of just chaining it, it eliminated the divisible/non divisible issue. Whether it does or not I don't know, I'm just the weldor.

11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Dang, getting rusty, it's too new.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.