Heavy Haul Miscellaneous Thoughts, Ideas and Questions

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Oscar the KW, Feb 8, 2015.

1. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

My problem with a longer well is the added weight and also the added camber in order to have a decent weight rating. If I was looking for a 55t I'd be looking for a 26 ft deck. If looking at a multi axle I'd want a 30 ft deck to be able to utilize the weight transfer of the jeep and booster.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haulhand

Can we talk stingers for a minute? I've ran Cali style equalizer boosters and Canadian style air and air over hydraulic boosters, but I've never ran a stinger that uses shims. I suppose my question is how hard are they to make take their share of the weight? I like the equalizer beams as they just do their thing but they are a pain in the ### to pull just the trailer. I also like the Canadian type booster as they push weight up thru a trailer. The advantage I'm seeing to an east coast style trailer is all the different combinations they can be run in I'm just nervous about how hard it's going to be to get the weight on the ### end.

4. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Well how to keep this short? I'm assuming you at least understand the basics, your stinger pins onto the back of the main bogey at the bottom and the shims go at the top. You add shims to "push" down on the stinger axle/axles. It becomes an art, every trailer is different every load is different. I'm mostly an equipment hauler so that's what I relate to, so I'll use that for my examples. In my opinion I like a trailer with a removable deck, I know it adds weight but I like to be able to change to a beam or add an insert and keep the same neck and bogies I'm familiar with. But I really like to be able to shim between the deck/beam in order to control the weight on the axles. You have to pay attention to what you have loaded. For example if you have something that spreads the weight like a scraper or big grader vs say a bigger excavator that concentrates it weight in a small area you will have to shim different. You also have to take into account you gooseneck position, I've seen guys get all set up and then say "I don't like how low the front of that trailer is" so the raise up the neck to add another spacer and that affects the stinger. It sounds complicated but once you're used to it it becomes second nature.

5. haulhand

Thanks for the reply. I understand the basics I just have never ran one. The boosters I run have a shim block that is ran out then pinned in place it has multiple holes for adjustment then it takes it's weight with between four and eleven airbags. I'm pretty good at getting these boosters to take their share but they also push 8 to 10 thousand pounds forward thru the trailer to the drives. Most of my loads are concentrated in 10 feet and I'm used to accounting for that weight being added to my drives. Does an American style east coast booster push that weight up the trailer??

6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    my stinger is setup with shims and a air regulator. not enough shims just adjust the air to loadup the stinger. I very seldom mess with the shims.

7. haulhand

I like that idea. Is it just regulated or sent thru a multiplier valve??

8. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    straight air supply from tank with air regulator. if the air bags look to extended then I will shim so I don't over extended the bags.

9. haulhand

I like that. All of mine are setup to either regulate or run common air I usually just use common air. The tandem axle peerless that used to pull gad eleven air bags so I pit had common air run thru two massive multiplier valves.

10. 281ric

281ric Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2011
    TX
  11. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

With east coast stingers, you need to watch your turns also.
    And the kicker is going over big humps or sown in dips. It throws the weight on the pins at the rear of the trl. and can cause them to break the brackets where they are welded onto either the trl. frame or on the stinger frame.
    I think that was part of my problem I had in Dec. Plus the fact the stinger had been welded several times prior.
    Had a slight right turn down a dip and then up on the lease road.
    Right as I started up hill it snapped.
    Nitro stinger will help take care of that problem

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.