Heavy Machinery

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by TJ1993, Feb 16, 2024.

1. TJ1993

TJ1993 Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Hi,

I have been truck driving for 6 years now. 3 years long distance and 3 years just doing local city work. I have the itch to become an owner operator but as we all know trucking is not the best at the moment and rates are generally low at the moment

I have a question, how is working in the heavy machinery field? I mean driving equipent like bulldozer, excavator, roller etc. I have zero experience in this field but a quick google shows it pays well and better than trucking.

Anybody here that drives such equipment? Where does one go to learn/train to drive these? Is it easy to get into this industry?

Any help is appreciated

Another Canadian driver and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I would recommend going to local dirt contractors and asking if they have any starting positions available. You will start at the bottom and maybe on a shovel, but gradually they will work folks with a bit of aptitude up on equipment.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Head up north to the mines. 6 figures a year and you work a week on/week off (or something similar).

5. TJ1993

TJ1993 Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Yeah I have always wanted to go up the mines/oil patch. Just feel like I would need more experience. I have the money to pay for some training/ courses in heavy machinery but as we all know even if you pass those courses your not guaranteed a job and they can be expensive.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I wouldn't spend a penny on HEO training yet if you plan on heading to the mines. Do your research but some places might train you there. Haul truck is usually the entry level position at most mines. After some seat time with no incidents they'll usually start training you on other equipment.

7. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Teck Coal had an ad up the other day looking for Haul Truck operators at Elkview I think it was. (Sparwood, BC area). They’ve got 4 active coal mines between there and Elkford, BC.

8. broke down plumber

broke down plumber Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2024
    Crawlspace is bad enuff in some cases , dam a mine of any kind .

9. TJ1993

TJ1993 Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Thanks just seen the job posting. I have been around that neck of the woods. I remember seeing the worlds largest haul truck I think it was just off hwy 3.

10. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006
    I might be wrong but my understanding with operating heavy equipment is you start at the bottom operating something like a skid steer and work your way up at most companies. working out of the mines where companies have a hard time getting employees you might have a better chance of operating bigger equipment

11. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Haul truck positions at the Mines tend to be entry level positions.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.