Height control valve

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Snailexpress, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    The named valve start leaking air around lever. Plastic garbage. Volvo wants over $400 for made in China Barksdale part# KD2503. Same valve (by appearance) but different part# for Freightliner is only $100. Can I use Freightliner valve on the Vilvo? If lever is different it can be replaced with lever from old valve.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    One option is to buy a kit if available and rebuild the valve. Quite simple if the bolts come out. See video below.
    Bing Videos
    I see no reason why the FL valve would not work. The valve either sends air to the bags or releases air depending on movement of the lever.
    Just make sure the lines are connected correctly. See pg 3 of the first file.

Attached Files:

Snailexpress and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Snailexpress

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    I'm very skeptical about repair option. All parts are plastic. New O-ring can't help to seal grooves on plastic.

5. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Would not know for sure unless you take it apart.
    Hendrickson's universal height control valve is adaptable to all tractor, trailer and truck air suspensions, regardless of manufacturer, model or year.
    Question is how much adapting would it take.
    This looks like it is not plastic. Brochure states metal.
    Hendrickson - Trailer Height Control Valve (hendrickson-intl.com)

If the FL valve bolts up without modifications I would go with that.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  6. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I would make sure that it has the suspension dump feature in the valve. I think that's part of the difference between the $100 valves and the $250+ ones.

7. Snailexpress

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    No. The valves looks absolutely identical.Number of ports and dump function is identical. Just manufacturer part number is different and Volvo greed.

loudtom Thanks this.
  8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
  9. Snailexpress

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    UPDATE.
    Sometime luck happens. Right across place i was delivering Fleet Pride store. Walked in to ask questions and parts person give me a valve I need for $ 60 and some change. The difference between different part # is only lever bend. On old Volvo valve it's 1/8 " shallower. I put old lever arm just in case but looks like it wont make any difference in operation.
    Installation process. Look how air lines attached to old valve. C1 and C2 ports have T-connectors air to air bags. Small 1/4 line is dump signal. Two I/O ports you have to pay attention for. Look on old valve to which port supply line is attached. Blow some air with your mouth in same port on mew valve and move lever arm up. If air is going to ports C1 and C2 you good to install new valve. If not, rotate arm 180 degree, if air start going thru just disconnect arm and reinstall to the desired position without rotating.

10. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Use the barksdale valve just need to buy extra fitting as need to reroute and plug some ports that might not me necessary everything else works the same. I've used this option a few times and all same shouldnt even need to change the rod.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.