Hello all, looks like I will be joining the community

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by bluetone, Jul 22, 2021.

1. bluetone

bluetone Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2021
    I got my CDL license a few years ago when I lived in Chicago, but never actually became a driver (other career opps trumped it). Now I'm in NJ and prepping to take my CDL knowledge test as soon as I can schedule it. I spoke with a recruiter from Schneider and will likely join their apprenticeship program where they provide the training over 5 weeks, then send me home to take the test in NJ. pointed at a dedicated Target job nearby. I've been lurking this forum for a while, picking up tips and whatnot around all subjects covered. I have so many questions, but I'll continue to do my own research to answer them. This is a career change for me, Covid has decimated my old job (management consultant/trainer) so I'm motivated to get busy with something new. I'm no spring chicken at 62 yrs. old, but I'm reasonably fit (6'8" 220lbs), hoping I can fit comfortably in the Freightliner cab! I love driving, I'm originally from Texas and driving is a way of life down there. I'm also mechanically inclined, I restored old cars for years. This will be a huge lifestyle change for me, but I feel ready for a change. I've always had a bit of wanderlust. I recognize that this is a very difficult job, but I'm ok with that and ready to pay my dues. Anyway, glad to be here!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    welcome, good luck, post when something is on your mind.

i am retired, i still have "some" advice to freely give, or you can pay me a Snickers bar each time.

luck to you

austinmike and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Welcome aboard, and feel free to jump in anytime if you have a question. :)

And don’t for one second feel like you’re the first “seasoned citizen” to make a start in this job. I’ve seen many in my years of service to this community.

5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    I'm sure you'll be fine, the main thing is watch those corners when your making a right hand turn with a 53' trailer behind you, and allow plenty of room. As a trailer has much more tracking compared to a 4 wheeler.

6. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    WELCOME ABOARD!!
    You'll Do WELL!!
    CHEERS!!

7. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    What part of Texas are you from ?

8. bluetone

bluetone Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2021
    Grew up in Longview, lived in Dallas for 20 years after school.

9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I was 59 when I started. Age isn't an issue with being a driver. And, sounds like you have a personality that this will work for you. Many that try to be a driver simply don't have the personality traits needed. Enjoying driving and having a bit of wanderlust are good traits for this occupation. I wish you luck! I also enjoy driving and have some gypsy, wanderlust, DNA it seems. I've come to accept I'm basically addicted to this OTR stuff. Not ready for OTR Anonymous!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.