Hello all

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by SomeCanadian, Nov 12, 2021.

1. SomeCanadian

SomeCanadian Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2021
    I’ve been reading on here for a couple of years and found lots of good information. Thank you.
    Never felt like I had much to contribute as a newer driver.

I am a former professional #### disturber. Literally, I would back a 52 foot stick into a lagoon and stir. It was a fun job, six years later a lot had changed and it stopped be fun. So I went and got my “cdl”.

I started trucking back in 17 on a harvest crew. Tried doing hotshot rvs for a bit. Then I got on with a small company and got the bug for oversized loads. He went under so I started hauling cattle, with harvest runs in the summer’s of 19 & 20. Did a little more oversized this summer in the slow season and back to cattle again. And to think when I got my license I swore I would never haul livestock.

I think I am getting out of trucking for a while to do something else but I’m sure it’s in my blood now and I’m going to miss the road. Right around 350k miles in three and a half years, it’s been a hard run.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Welcome aboard, eh? I'll say you've only scratched the surface as to what trucking can offer. Sounds like you did the hard part 1st. There's much easier trucking jobs, like tanker or drop and hook stuff. ANY animal hauling is tough and oversize, while a good job, requires a lot more work. Today, I'd say, without question, plain old flatbed is the most popular venue of trucking. It's all I see out here, but with the current driver shortage, at least here, you can practically name your job. Good luck.

Pamela1990 and SomeCanadian Thank this.
  5. SomeCanadian

SomeCanadian Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Thank you. The only reason I haven’t done normal flatbed is that the only tarp I want to deal with is a window tarp. I also as a company driver invested heavily in my line of work. I bought all my own chains, binders, special equipment hooks, signs, lights, straps, window tarps and tools.
    I once thought I could write my ticket, cross border, twic, clean ten year, and now more importantly so then when I started drug free. But not so much in my area (south Alberta). There just isn’t many good people to work for that don’t already have all the people they need or that I know how to find.
    I’m going to step away from trucking for a year or so until the world calms down. One day I’m sure that I’ll go otr again. Hopefully all my chains and other gear isn’t too rusty by then.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Reason for edit: More info
    201 Thanks this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I can appreciate your enthusiasm, but a year isn't going to do it. We, in America anyways, are still riding the cusp of the tragedies about to unfold. With this "lack of supply" crap, the new normal for America, just buying toilet paper is a hassle. The only upside is, someone willing to do OTR will always have a job waiting. It will become the most important job, ironically with the weakest pay. Good luck, pal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.