Hello from Lakeland, FL.

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by DRandi, Jan 7, 2023.

1. DRandi

DRandi Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2022
    I can afford to pay for schooling out of pocket if necessary. I can drive to Sage daily, bout 40 minutes with rush hour traffic from the house. Thanks for the info.

Didn't even know about DOT Foods, will look into.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a good one that's 35 miles from you.
    Eagle Transport Corporation | Truck Driver Jobs | Rocky Mount, NC
    CDL school tuition reimbursement program.
    Graduate from an approved 200 hr. cdl school. Contact the company for approved schools near you and ask if the 200 hr. is still required.
    FLORIDA
    Tampa
    Orlando
    Port Everglades
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    No, my last post was to convey the thought that many people have about the industry.
    I don't look down on myself and I'm proud of what I do. That said, it's not for everyone.
    It's not about the "skill set", it's about the individual and their specific life style and personality.
    And that's what I was trying to get across.......obviously, poorly.

Sometimes people are just tired of the rut they find themselves in; and that's understandable.
    However, taking a $50k cut in pay, being away from home and family for an indeterminate time, sleeping in truck stops and interacting with some of the worst that humanity has to offer, is not the answer. Sounds more like a mid life conundrum rather than a well thought out career change.

I truly wish you the best.
    Remember in the morning to count your blessings one by one and be truly grateful for what you've been given.
    Good luck.

5. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    As @lual mentioned, Dot Foods is going to be your best OTR bet, for that area.

There are tons of distribution centers in that area. If you don’t mind night driving, a place like Publix, O’Reilly, or some other huge distributor would be a great choice, as well. You really want to seek out a place that makes their money elsewhere and use their own transportation division as a way to minimize their operational costs. If you go to work for a trucking company, you’re going to work for someone who only makes money off transportation, which means they’re skimping everywhere they can to increase profits, including screwing you. Working for a distributor/retailer/etc, means they have the money to, generally, take better care of you. For instance, most pay hub miles, higher hourly pay, better benefits, better maintained equipment, etc. Linehaul for an LTL is something else to look at.

If you start thinking about a home-daily gig, just imagine fighting FL traffic, all day, every day. It sucks. I used to run all of Cape Coral to Naples. I hated it.

I worked at Dot Foods and lived the culture. I don’t know of any place as good as they are for balance. They treated me exceptionally well, had great equipment, great benefits, great everything. You’d have to call recruiting, about Ocala and what approved school options there are. They do offer tuition reimbursement. They offer touch and no-touch options (sounds like this what you’d want). Likewise, they offer some variety of schedules, depending on location. I know Ocala works out of Vidalia, GA, running the I-75 corridor. But, Vidalia could, also, send you elsewhere, depending on their needs. That DC has its own medical facility, on-site. Anything you might need, just walk right in. They’re really nice people at that DC and always enjoyed going there.

What’s funny is, before I got sick, I had repeatedly volunteered to move to the Ocala area to run shuttles. However, they didn’t have a facility there or even plans to put one there, at the time. But, their continued growth has them always looking at different and/or better ways to get things done. More facility options, means more driver opportunities, and better customer service.

Never mention anything about your health issues/injuries to anyone. They are immediate red flags to any potential employer AND any medical examiner. What you post here and any social media is researched and does get around/found. Many potential employers hire agencies to do background checks well beyond what you’d ever think. Before pursuing this, you need to cleanse everything as best you can.

Another Canadian driver and lual Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion Freight Line hires new cdl school grads.
    Need all the endorsements.
    Some of those drivers doing "line haul" can make over $100G per year.
    Click for locations in Florida: ---> Florida
    [​IMG]

7. DRandi

DRandi Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2022
    Information request sent to Sage Driving Academy. Also fired off a request to make contact with Heniff. Spoke with my neighbors son who was a driver and now the driver manager at Matheson Trigas. Looked at Saddle Creek, but lots of so so there.

David.

Concorde Thanks this.
  8. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Sage will invite you to a no obligation meet and greet to explain everything and what to expect.

At least that’s what they did when I attended.

9. DRandi

DRandi Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2022
    That's a honest reply and I can respect that. Wish I had a few people be the voice of opposition back when I had the dumb idea of becoming a mechanic. Being a mechanic and learning how to use tools has taught me tons, but it's not even close to all roses making what I do. Quite literally everyone, coworkers, service advisors, management, parts employee's, everyone is looking to stick the knife in your back. If there is a problem with the parts price, dock the tec's time. Wrong part ordered, tec's problem. Final bill too high, doc the tec's time. Advisor misquoted and the customer's unhappy, tec gets dinged again. Why labor is a intangible. It's not like the dealer had to pay a fixed price to put the part on the shelf. Being flat rate cost them nothing to make me stand there. Yes dealing with low life's, almost every single day is dealing with con artists, liars, and cheats. It's a job with almost nothing but negative reinforcement. Do it right, no one says a word. Moment you screwed up though and the world comes unglued. No one wakes up in the morning and says.... gosh I hope my engine chucks a rod through the block cause I'm wanna go see my mechanic. I'm sure everything I just mentioned is exactly the same for drivers within respect to the trade.

I staying hours after shift to get jobs out the door instead of going home is normal. Stayed late replacing a broken intake on the customers vehicle so they can have it first thing in the morning instead of a day later. Customer is elated that it's done early, thanks service advisor and even brings him a bottle of whisky. Me, got a hurt back and had to burn two weeks of vacation time to keep the bills paid. I Have no illusions that trucking is the same. Just replace driving late to make delivery date and falling off the trailer. Had to sleep in the car in the parking lot at work numerous time. Even slept on top of my tool box once when I was younger. Dam funny looking back on that now, not so much at the time.

Concorde Thanks this.
  10. DRandi

DRandi Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2022
    I do appreciate all that are taking the time to chat with me. No I am not just charging headlong into this. This is a research and information gathering stage for me. I know full well that all these companies advertise and promise rainbows and unicorns and how you will make cash hand over fist, yep lies. Just like the dealership I use to work for is advertising $15,000.00 cash sign on bonus.... lol!!!!!!! Reality, 2k cause they will find a excuse on why you don't qualify for that much.

My eldest is grown and on his own now. My youngest has few years to go still. So I'm almost done with family raising. Away time from the wife can be a healthy thing. Being alone for hours on end is nothing new to me and I actually like it. I've been doing the anti social thing since before it was cool. The being alone for a good part of the work day is actually one the of the things that is attracting me to driving.

I would prefer the home daily to keep the house from burning down, but not against being out for the week and home weekends. Also not against he occasional long haul. My present work life is up at 6 to kiss the wife by in passing. Home at 6ish and get to deal with what ever needs attention till bed at 10. Wash, rinse, repeat Monday through Friday. Every third Saturday is a six day work week. Up at 5:30 to be at the shop before 7 till 5. Management is rumored to be thinking about making us work open to close Sundays too. There is no banking up time off or a different day off during the week. So running 14 hour days would not be big change.

I am fully aware that becoming a newly minted driver would me running crap times, long hours and possibly OTR to start. I'm not against that as long as there is a real and obtainable path forward to not do that.

Personally running flats, steps, and tanks appeals to me. Heavy haul on the onset does also, but I've slogged in the mud enough in life already and what little I've researched on heavy haul wouldn't jive with lifestyle.

David.

Concorde and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    @DRandi There are a lot of TTR members who take on trucking as a second career in midlife. Most of them stay with it. Don't let the naysayers talk you out of it. They mean well but they don't live your life. I'm not sure if trucking is the right way to cure your job burn-out but if you don't do it you'll always wish you'd at least given it a try.
    With your qualifications and experience you can always go back to turning wrenches if trucking turns out to be a bummer for you.
    Good luck to you and keep us informed on your progress.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.