Hello, new member

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by wheelofgrime, Jan 19, 2024.

1. wheelofgrime

wheelofgrime Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2024
    Hello. I am contractor (construction). I own a couple older tractors for the company's private use. One is a former beverage tractor. The other is a new-to-me t800 that was most recently a spotter.

I look forward to sharing my projects with everyone.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    rollin coal, bzinger and gokiddogo Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
  4. Spardo

Spardo Light Load Member

Just discovered this site and have to confess, I am a refugee. From the foremost, and possibly the only, Drivers' forum in the UK.TruckNet UK which seems to have gone belly up after 20 odd years and with thousands of members. Word of advice, if you make good friends on a forum get their emails or phone numbers, otherwise you may wake up one morning, and they're gone.

I am not a wanabee driver, been there done that and retired 21 years ago at 60. But I missed it, not the aggro on the road or anything else, just tired, oh yes after avoiding rattling frigos (reefers) for 58 years I came here to France to live and got a job straight away driving yes, a frigo. But what I missed was the brotherhood of the road which is especially alive in France in all the many Routiers, usually small, family run affairs with excellent food and companionship where you can park safely for the night. In many you all eat together at long tables, in sharp contrast to my native England where we used to joke that if a transport cafe had 13 tables, it was full after the 13th driver walked in.

So 13 years ago I found a new way of stalking the roads of the European Union. As a volunteer with my car collecting and delivering rescue dogs to the far flung corners, to start with I slept with them, large and small, excellent for keeping warm but then bought a Teardrop caravan, just enough room to stretch out but not stand.

Before all that I drove almost every kind of vehicle for moving freight, only excepting bulk liquids and cars. I drove a bus to India, but with 2 others and only as a means to get to Australia. There I landed in the far north, Darwin, at 4 in the morning and by lunchtime I had a room and a job. A few weeks later I took a bus 300 kms south and asked a soon to be very famous road train operator, Noel Buntine, for a job. He asked me if I had driven a twin steer before. I thought it was a strange question, nothing special about 4 wheels at the front, driven many 8 leggers. But I had misheard his accent, which I found out when presented with my first truck, a B61 Thermodyne Mack with 20 speeds controlled by TWIN STICKS. !!, and 3 trailers and was soon on my way west to collect a load of cows from Western Australia.

So that's me, you'd have less to read (if you have got this far) if I was 21 and asking for info on how I get to Canada. But no, looking for a new home just for the craic, as they say in Ireland. ;-)

Concorde and wheelofgrime Thank this.
  5. Matthew.Mays1

Matthew.Mays1 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2024
    Work for a courier service that runs local around your area.

6. wheelofgrime

Jan 18, 2024
    Whose area?

7. wifi_guru

wifi_guru Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2024
    welcome and we look forward to seeing your projects

wheelofgrime Thanks this.
  8. wheelofgrime

Jan 18, 2024
    Thanks. I'm just getting my bearings here but I will be doing some stuff to my kenworth soon. I'll have to poke around and see how you guys do things here. I belong to another forum (construction) and I... I make lots of threads. I have hundreds.

wifi_guru Thanks this.
  9. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    That seems to be all the advice that forum member wants to give. He's said the same thing in a few threads. Best thing to do is pay no attention to it.

Deere hunter and wheelofgrime Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.