HELP!!! '13 Volvo D13 shakes & power loss at 1,600 RPM

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MaxzRig, Jun 3, 2018.

1. MaxzRig

MaxzRig Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2010
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    I've looked into the fuel/water separator and found that it could/should be drained daily. Years ago as a company driver, I never ever drained this separator, never any problems. Now that you have enlightened me, is this a VOLVO THING? Or for any big truck??? Also, as i look at it, there seems to be no way to discharge the water at all ??? (only hoses) Also, the level of liquid in the filter is barely up to the cuff.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Ok...I guess that makes more sense. But you rarely hear of injector failure because cups simply fail before injectors on a D13.

4. Socal Xpress

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    @Johny41 at 1.8millon miles only ever had cup failures. I am sitting 1 million and 4 cups 3 injector set.

5. MaxzRig

Feb 20, 2010
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    I drove a little today & tried hard to NOT GO OVER 1500, difficult when it seems to run at a min. 1000 rpms.
    Drive [accellerate], shift, drive, shift 'quickly', etc....

6. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    IT doesn't. But he also does not know for sure it's cups or injectors. And water will kill injectors. Cups are generally not the problem after 11 or 12 in the D13. Not say it doesn't happen, but not like it did 8-11.

7. MaxzRig

Feb 20, 2010
    LAS VEGAS, NV
    Ok gents; I've been up and running off & on in W. Texas.
    '13 Volvo, D13, only owned it for about a month... calling the dealer "WTF"???
    The shaking still happens, now at an earlier 1350 RPMs. It is always as I am going up a hill or torque for "power" (give it a lil gas). Let off the gas, it stops, push & it happens again... I did buy some Lucas injector cleaner, not sure if I should put it in or not... while Im down awaiting trailer repair, I'm gonna wait till rolling again IF I put it in (heard good n bad about this stuff)
    After the many opinions I've seen here & other D13 Volvo problems... seems to be the CUPS & or INJECTORS BAD!!!!! When time allows, will get Volvo diagnostic & repair. Will keep yall posted

8. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    If the cups are bad they need replacing ASAP.
    The longer you wait the more chance you have off wrecking every rubber seal in your engine because you can get diesel where you don't want it.

9. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Always check the cheap stuff first ! Have you changed the fuel filters ?
    Sometimes it is the obvious thing that is the problem !

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  10. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I had a ecm on my truck for awhile that would do that . It was the ecm was programed with a progressive shift program. If you took the rpms over the shift points it cutout and sputtered like you describe. You might have it check for something like that.

11. Socal Xpress

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    His truck came with a 13speed Eaton not an Ishift. He needs a proper diagnostics done........period. I described the symptoms of bad cups already and he has not updated us if he has more then 1 symptom. In addition to shifting the D13 at 1700 RPM not much else can be said to help him. Go to the dealer and get it fixed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    daf105paccar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.