Help? 2008 Kenworth T800 power dropping out

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by DaltonR121, May 23, 2012.

1. DaltonR121

DaltonR121 Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Masontown, WV
    So the truck I'm driving is a 2008 Kenworth T800 daycab. When I started with the company, this truck was down. Somehow it spun a main bearing at 85,000 miles. The company spent 33,000 dollars to put a brand new ISX engine in it and I got it when it came back from the shop. It has that regen bull on it. It has started acting up. The check engine light is coming on and sometimes I'll just be cruising along and all the power will drop out of it and I'll have to start dropping gears like crazy. It seems to do it a lot more when loaded than when empty. It also seems to like to do it when I'm pulling hills which is a very uncomfortable situation. I'll be moving at 40 mph up a hill and then drop down to about 5 or 10 all of a sudden. Does this sound like some sort of sensor or...? Anyone had any similar problems? I couldn't believe it when they said that truck spun a main bearing that early.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Does a check lamp come on when you loose power?

4. DaltonR121

Mar 19, 2011
    Masontown, WV
    Usually it'll go out right about the time the power drops out of it. It will randomly come on and go out. It will usually only go out for a few minutes and come back on. It will start running like crap when it needs to regen but not like this. It has been doing it for about a week and still hasn't thrown the regen light.

5. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Would be best to check code history with Cummins Insite to see what's going on.

6. DaltonR121

Mar 19, 2011
    Masontown, WV
    Yeah, I keep telling my truck boss we need to get it to a Cummins place. The engine is supposed to be under warranty for 2 years. I did start off of a hill one time and the RPMs hit 2200 but I got it away from there as quick as I could. I've heard this voids the warranty. Do you know if this is so? I'm scared of losing my #### job when this truck goes into the shop.

7. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    I'm not sure on RPM limits for warranty. You might replace the fuel filter if you can't get it into the shop right away, you never know , just might take care of the problem.

DaltonR121 Thanks this.
  8. DaltonR121

Mar 19, 2011
    Masontown, WV
    I appreciate it Bender! When it makes it to the shop and gets diagnosed, I'll post an update incase this ever happens to anyone else!

bender Thanks this.
  9. DaltonR121

Mar 19, 2011
    Masontown, WV
    Update: It goes into the shop tomorrow so I'll know more soon but in the display on the dash, it is throwing up an engine diagnostic code for the Turbo Actuator. I'll know more soon though!

10. KWmech

KWmech Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    The dash diagnostics are junk. More than likely you have a problem with you variable geometry turbo actuator not working properly or the vanes that move back and forth in the turbo are stuck and will not move.

DaltonR121 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.