Help! 2010 Cascadia, Dpf, non Def. Intermittently loses ability to accelerate.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Hogi99, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Hogi99

Hogi99 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Great running truck. I've owned it for almost 5 years. 770k miles. It started with a egr engine light and code. Mechanic replaced egr. Code was cleared, truck seemed to run fine. Hauled some loads at night, no problems. Few days later, pulling heavy load in the afternoon, truck losses top end power, won't accelerate, but can maintain some level of power. No engine lights or codes. Limp it home, later that night it runs fine, get it to act up next day. Take mechanic on test drive, while hooked to diagnostic computer, it does it again, he says the intake goes from boost to vacuum at times. He thinks it's the throttle valve or the ecm. Goes to replace the throttle valve and finds oil in the intake. Says turbo is bad, replaced turbo, throttle valve. Truck seems to run fine, again at night, but sometimes during the day, it does the same thing. One other clue, air filter gauge, which had never shown a high vacuum is maxing out. Filter is coming for replacement. When truck is experiencing the problem if you press the throttle beyond the point of maintaining power you get black smoke from exhaust, but no additional power.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Sounds like not enough air in combustion chamber...? If there was oil in the intake, how about the CAC? Was the CAC drained of oil? How much came out?

4. Hogi99

Hogi99 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2020
    I wasn't there to see how much, but it had to be drained. I lost about a gallon of oil through the turbo over several weeks. New air filter. I think lack of air to the engine is spot on, but the cac losses are within acceptable, and the problem is intermittent, though much more likely when ambient temp is over 100. We suspect the ECM, maybe it malfunctions when hot? It runs great at night, when it's cool, no signs whatsoever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.