HELP! ABF FREIGHT or Local city public works

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Waybrady1, Oct 23, 2016.

1. thekidsixer

thekidsixer Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2006
    It takes 2 years to get 1 week of vacation at abf. I think that would make my decision right there

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Public Works definitely. Much better job security compared to a freight company. It's boiling over with Marxist policies though. So be prepared for seeing some things going that you won't like and will see as unfair. Like all employers though, it's a trade off. You just have to take the good with the bad and hope the former outweighs the latter.

4. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    I have to echo what others have said. I used to work for PW years ago but I didn't have a CDL, but I do know that no one ever really worked very hard, especially not the truck drivers. While the pay was lower the benefits were great so there is a trade off. I say that becasue I have a buddy that works at a freight company and he likes it (not ABF) but right now for instance, he's driving half the day, and working the dock the other half due to the company laying off workers. He get's paid pretty #### well but he works so many hours its not even funny. 12 hour days up to 6 days a week are just a regular occurrence so that's a trade off as well.

So unless you have specific goals in mind, I'd prefer to take a job that paid a bit less with great benefits and guaranteed days off each week with a schedule you can pretty much count on, that isn't back breaking vs taking a job where you're not sure how many hours you'll work, could be minimal if you're a fill in, could be astronomical if you're driving all the time, which doesn't leave much time for anything else outside of work, not to mention the fact you might also end up working the dock more than you drive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.