Help... Cant find a company driver

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by jps37033, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jps37033

jps37033 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Tennessee
    I cannot seem to find a decent company driver. I am offering good pay, time off, lanes, etc;. I have tried word of mouth, advertising, magazines. I dont get many responses, and when i do they are bogus. I own a decent truck for them to drive, and most every thing they would haul would be no touch, and limited stops. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Maybe someone else in the industry has a few tips on how to find a good driver. I run dry vans, and any lanes. I offer ( depending on driver experience and other things ) 33 to 36 cents per mile. And as for time off, If they drive good during the week i have no problem giving every weekend off ( sat&sun or Sun&Mon ). Please help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    with MY years of experience, i would tell you to "go pound sand" for the 33-36¢ per mile. i'm thinking at least 38-42¢ for starters, but, it's my experience level, that warrants that amount.

next, are you paying on a 1099 form.......?? if so, "go pound sand" again.
    you as the employer had better take the required taxes out of my paycheck. i will not hold money and pay quarterly.........

what is a "decent truck" in your real words...........?? this statement from you is ambiguos........a "decent truck" to you could be a 1988 cabover international........

a "decent truck" to me is at least a 2001-2006 model year, hood, fully decked out, not chromed, but the usual "interior niceities".

i like the "no touch freight", but you don't mention what type of freight, or where its going........sure, it MAY be a van, but are you hauling recycled cardboard, scrap metal, what....?? and what's the waiting time at the shippers or recievers........??

time off sounds good, i like 5 days per week, weekends off..........

no mention of health benefits........again, that "sand" comment again.......

you may be an O/O looking for a driver (sounds like you are an O/O) and i worked for 3 of them.

1) low pay
    2) crappy equipment
    3) pay on 1099
    4) no benefits
    5) paid for loaded trailers only, deadhead ZERO...
    6) had to "chase" owner for my money
    7) if you are an O/O, no job stabilty for the driver, as you can go "belly-up" with the snap of a finger.

i only have 19 years experience now.............its what i've been through, and what i've personally witnessed over the years.

PS, if i am wrong about you being an O/O, or some of the "assumptions" about your business, then you have my appologies........... but i say things bluntly, and to the point.............

4. jps37033

jps37033 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Tennessee
    No appologies needed. You are wrong about a couple of things.
    First- I do not consider 1988 equipment "nice equipment". (2001 or newer)

Second-About the 1099 thing; Most drivers that i have dealt with arent as lazy ( I am to the point too ) and want to manage their own finances/taxes/deductions/etc;I am their employer, not their IRS agent, Accountant, or personal finance advisor. I pay them the money they earn. What they do with it ( pay taxes or not ) is up to them. I know I hated it when people would cut my check in half for Uncle Sam.

Third-The companies advertising that 40+cents per mile ( read the fine print ). 36 cents is not bad on all miles. And Why would I start a new driver that may not be able to find his/her way out of their own driveway a high rate on all miles. I could be paying them to visit friends along the way. I believe in starting someone at an agreeable rate, finding out what kind of employee they are, and then renegotiating pay.

And Lastly-I did not mention all of the other things because i was asking a general question, not posting an Advertisement For Employment.

But, thanks for your two cents worth.

5. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    so just for "informations sake" what type of equipment do you have...?

its not laziness, ite responsibilities or one's lack of it, regarding with-holding of taxes. no paycheck is "cut in half" for uncle sam. most of us "manage" our finances with the "after tax" deductions. to pay quarterly taxes is BS. as the EMPLOYER as you claim to be, it IS your responsibility to collect/pay taxes. why is it then that nearly all other companies do this...?? its because they can.....you probably don't have the knowledge to do so......that's the laziness i see with owner-operators......paying drivers they hire. (to that point).

care to "share" that fine print...?? most jobs i have applied for, it was a "set" mileage pay, then added things like fuel bonus, or on time deliveries, or whatever. but the BASE PAY is still the base pay......you are "skirting" the pay issue.......

probably because as an owner-operator (?), you do not offer health benefits, or paid vacations, or paid holidays, or at the very least, a "token" amount of money to just keep a driver interested in staying.

i didn't think you were a "big company", but an owner-operator, am i right...?? if so, as an owner-operator, and with no good money/benefits, the potential to business failure, what recourse does a driver for you have when he/she needs to collect unemployment benefits....?? or Temporay Disability if injured, or Workman's Comp....?? you see, it IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to pay into the tax structure. your attitude/comment of, "you ain't the IRS" doesn't help the soon to be unemployed driver, you can't even hire in the first place.......

6. jps37033

jps37033 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Tennessee
    Ah, I have a smart one on my hands. Let it be known that I am not in a pissing contest with you. About the Small company i work for, It is really not. Unless you consider 240 other leased on owner operators small. And now i will go into full detail since you are bashing me. We offer health, dental, unemployment, disability, and all other insurances. We offer to withhold, but as I stated before, " most that i have dealt with did not want that ". I will add that i dont forsee any danger of going "belly up". With an mc# starting in the low 2's, we have done fine. But, to ask you, is there a company out there that can gaurantee not to? I never posted all of the benifits, bonuses, etc; because I wasnt posting a job. I was asking "whats the best way to locate drivers". ie; where to, how to, etc;. And about the equipment. The truck I am trying to fill right now is an 03 Freightliner/Cat/new air ride 53 van. I understand some wont drive them because they arent flashy enough. Well, they arent making the payments on fuel or the truck. But, it is not the worst truck to drive. And for the pay issue. Lets just model off of the last carrier I recruited/dispatched for. First, the bonuses were bogus. If someone actually acheived it there was something else that knocked it out(Late, out of route). This company was about 80 trucks and well established. They offered all those "pretty" benifits too. I appreciate your interest, and your willingness to debate too. But, we can just end this, and i will send you an application. Fill it out and send it back with references. lol. Just kidding.

7. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    cool, now we have a "better" understanding of your place of business, rather than an "ambiguos" description.

good, then at least the "cards are on the table now" for a better idea of what's offered to the potential employee's.

i don't care what your MC #'s are, that don't interest me. and no, no one can guarantee ANY company can't go "belly up", however, when a "legit" company goes "belly up", at least the social security taxes and others have been taken out, PROVING a job did exist. most companies that do not take out taxes (the typical o/o for example), the hired driver has no proof of employment to future employers when asked "where did you work last".

true, you weren't posting an actual job, but by hiding these things makes it difficult to "decypher" what you do/do not offer. and that can lead to mis-information

good equipment indeed. i don't like flash either, its too much to keep clean.

oh.......you're a recruiter......???

yep, i'm in agreement on this as it's happened to me a few times

no thanks. i don't wish to go to tennesee anytime too soon.
    all my "cousins" live out here...........:toothy10:

so, you're a recruiter...'ey.........??

8. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    to get back to your "original" posting, the stops, what do you pay...?? per each and every stop, or paid just the first stop, and the last stop..?

how much "stop pay" do you offer..?? it should be at least $20.00 per stop.

do you go into NYC..? if so, that's a good reason not to find too many drivers.

do you go up into canada..? that's a pain.

do you offer per diem..?

do you offer paid tolls..?

do you offer a rider program..?

do you require that your drivers personally wash/polish the trucks..?

many of these things can lead to no driver's being interested in your company.

9. jps37033

jps37033 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Tennessee
    Yeah, I have a rider form to fill out and also offer insurance on the rider. As for washing the trucks I pay for a truck wash. I dont want my stuff looking too bad. On stops, I usually pay on every stop, and its usually $50. I am a recruiter for owner ops for my company, but I also have some of my own leased on to my company. And one thing I thought that has been a good selling point is that I do pay on all stops, deadhead ( its not drivers fault) except to the house. I pay per mile on all loads and deadhead, but when they head home its on them. But that is fair. And as far as NY, I HATE with a passion the northeast all together. I prefer to kkep my trucks and drivers out of there. I dont deal in canada. I try to stay in the SE, Midwest, South, IL, IN, and maybe a little West Coast. As for tolls, yes i pay if I put a driver in one. But, like I said I try to stay away from those NE toll ridden places. Bad paying freight there too. I just cant see where trucks and drivers find it benificial to go there anymore.

Long Live Bass Fisherman and Card Collectors

10. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    well an awful lot of freight does go up into the north east. just not the same amount coming out.

i don't know, you do "seem" to offer a good deal. maybe you have a high turnover rate, or the drivers sit a long time before they get another load?

benefits, pay, "perks" like stop pay, good equipment. maybe you just ain't in a good enough hiring zone for drivers. but then again, what is the "perfect" hiring zone.

do you allow the trucks to be taken home when the driver is off duty..? this can make things easier for the drivers, if they can park those trucks at the house, instead of driving back and forth each time they are ready.

is/are your loads hazmat, dirty, heavy, require some "driver assistance at times".?

are you "way out in the boonies" and they just can't find you?

you say "bogus" applicants, how do you mean that? you want more experience than they got to offer?

you can't get good references?

you can't get a good past history?

you can't get "honest" non-criminals to apply?

11. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    I live in NY....

1 yr exp...

Want weekends off....

Can, will, and have gone everywhere, including NYC. Dont mind going anywhere, and would rather work for small outfit.

K

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.