Help: I have an offer from Watkins Shepard

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by NEW AMERICAN TRUCKER, Jun 15, 2010.

1. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Question: I know W/S has gotten lots of good posts on here and in general people seem pretty pleased with their choice-that's not what I am asking. Per that earlier post of pay rates CPM-that seems a little low??? even for newbs????

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RAILSPLITTER

RAILSPLITTER Medium Load Member

May 2, 2009
    Coronado, CA
    Sounds ridiculously low... didn't read all the posts, but I suppose by "Orientation" some of these hands actually mean "Driver Training." Good lord, a 10-day "Orientation!!!" I don't wanna know that much about a company... :biggrin_25523:

4. sammycat

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    just going based on what my husband makes at different company (not gonna post either) and he started in Feb.

5. Nikato

Nikato Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Hmm ok. Doesn't ws offer a school as well? I think they do, just wondering.

6. Deserted1

Deserted1 Medium Load Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    Yes they teach you how to shift while on hills, its actually very easy to do, infact I cant see doing it the way DMV wants after learning this. Its actually just common sense.

BIGLOU52 Thanks this.
  7. Deserted1

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    I started in March, they recently changed the pay scale however what your not seeing is now people are being paid during the 10 day @ 100 a day, before there was no pay for the 10 day, and you made .27c to start and after 90 days it goes up .01 and so forth.

BIGLOU52 and sammycat Thank this.
  8. sammycat

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks deserted but what's the 10 day@ 100 day? Is the training pay? Like I said I am not out to bash W/S- I actually checked out their website when I saw so many positive posts.
    My husband got less during training (164hrs) but CPM is way different. Is there any other pay? unload pay or ( I can't think of what the term is) when you sit too long pay?
    Again thanks just looking for some info as seems like the bashing on W/S is far and few compared to like Swift or Werner.

9. Deserted1

Mar 8, 2010
    Riverside, ca
    The CPM is different than the orientation pay, think about it your not working durring orientation, your learning how we do things and you are being tested. I did not get that chance to get paid durring my orientation, so my pay is different than that.

sammycat Thanks this.
  10. CAGEtrucker

CAGEtrucker Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Somewhere, AZ
    I just competed the 10 day and you get $100 the 1st day $100 the 5th day and $200 the last day. They called it an orientation but it is a mini training. We spend about 2 hours on company the rest on training. We get layover pay for breakdowns or wrong dispatch into @ 50 bucks a day. You are paid and average of $5 when you bump a dock. There is a bunch of different little things you are paid for.

I hope this helps. I know this forum helped me make my finally decision to join Watkins and I am glad I did. Little slow start with truck repairs but things are good and I am very happy.

sammycat and BIGLOU52 Thank this.
  11. sammycat

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks Cage and Deserted for the info!
    Good luck to you both

btw Cage hubby has 07 Volvo 760 ( I want to say?)I see you got an 05. I think his has like 450k on it- he trained on Freighliner. The Volvo is much bigger inside but of course more truck to have to manuvere. Unfortunately some of his electric/outlets aree spotty. Nice truck though. Lots of storage.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.