Help: I have an offer from Watkins Shepard

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by NEW AMERICAN TRUCKER, Jun 15, 2010.

1. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Personally, I'm not a fan of their pay scale. But it's workable.

The pay is low by most peoples standards. But the majority of people, have unrealistic standards/expectations.

Few companies start a "new" driver at .35 a mile. Very few.

Majority Standard - I'm going to make .35 a mile and run 3500 miles a week. That's $1225 a week. From day one.

When they're actually going to run 2400 miles a week on average. Or $840 a week. Provided the company gives them .35 a mile from day one.

W&S is one of the few companies who can actually run a driver. Allowing them to make money based on their ability to perform.

When I worked for them. It was not uncommon for me to bring home over $1000 a week, with less than 2200 miles. Stop pay adds to the check too. Even though some people hate the extra stops.

sammycat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks Dance-so the trade off is lower CPM but sounds like higher run miles.
    Hubby actually gets way low miles but it's dedicate run multiple short stops in day and unload pay. If he did straight OTR at his current pay rate AND got good miles-which I understand really vary on just about everything and the kitchen sink-he would do decent. So far his current take home is okay. He basically works 4-5 days home weekends.
    Like I said before this is one of the FEW companies that does not have alot of bad press and most everyone that posts sounds pretty happy. Nice to keep your options open for later. I think that is the best thing about TTR-getting info from people like you and the others. Again much thanks!!

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    It's not always a good trade off. But it can be done, with the right company. And, provided the difference in per mile pay isn't to extreme.

Stop pay is very important when considering a job. Many times while at W&S, my stop pay was higher than my earned mileage pay, for the week.

If his current pay covers what you guys are comfortable with, and he's happy with it, and you're happy with it, then it's a good job.

My pay has dropped 20-40% over the past 3 years. But my debt has dropped almost 100%. I've also increased my home time considerably. I used to get home once or twice a month, for a couple of days. Now I'm home every weekend for a minimum of 2 days, sometimes 3 or 4.

While I always tell drivers they can do better at another company. I always try to point out, their debt load is a huge factor when you consider overall satisfaction at a company. W&S is one of the few companies I would recommend, regardless of your financial situation. They treat their drivers good, and the money is good.

The worse company in the world, has employees that think they are the best. It's all a matter of where you're standing when you look at them. It's hard to say anything good about any company, while you're in debt up to your eyeballs. And can't pay the bills with your current paycheck.

sammycat Thanks this.
  5. Warpdrvr

Warpdrvr Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Corona, CA
    I can't say I hate extra stops, but I just finished a 10 stop nursery load, trees and shrubs. A LOT of work getting that stuff off the tailgate, and half the places were down little tiny roads that I really had no business taking a 53' down...but I got it all done, and every stop was checked "hand unload", so I believe there will be a little extra something in my next check...but I can leave those loads for someone else now....well in reality, if they give me another one I'll take it since I don't turn down loads unless I can't do it becuase of hours....

6. BIGMONEYTRUCKIN

BIGMONEYTRUCKIN Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2010
    conover, NC
    If YOU work for WKSH and are not making at least 1200 dollars a week, then you need to reserve a seat in BIGMONEYTRUCKIN's logbook class......haha

Let me hear from ya Big Mike NC

7. MD STEELERS FAN

MD STEELERS FAN Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Perryman Md
    Hey BIGMONEYTRUCKIN how do you get per stop? Is there perdiem? Do you have to take it?

8. BIGMONEYTRUCKIN

BIGMONEYTRUCKIN Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2010
    conover, NC

GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

The stop pay here depends on where the load comes from. If I pull a load of furniture out of conover I get 20 dollars per drop, plus my regular cpm pay. If the load originates from anywhere other than conover, NC you get paid either 10, 15, or .40 per piece, depending on how many pieces you have. You will hardly ever make more than 20 a stop, but most stop loads come out of NC so the 20 is what you are mostly looking at. These stop pay figures are only for "hand unloaded freight", i.e. furniture. If you simply have a load with multiple stops on it and all you do is bump a dock and get unloaded by a forklift, you only make 5 dollars per stop. There is no perdiem here, you just file 56 bucks or whatever it is at the end of the year for each day you are out. Believe me, this way is better. I worked for another company where there was perdiem, and it succcccccccccks. The do you have to take it part??????? If you are referring to perdiem then I have already answered you. If you are referring to loads, or load stops, then the simplest answer I can give you is yes. As a company driver you are required to take loads given to you without question. As dispatchers get to know you, they will give you loads you want the majority of the time, as long as they have them at the time you arrive......

Anything else, just ask......

MD STEELERS FAN Thanks this.
  9. MD STEELERS FAN

MD STEELERS FAN Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Perryman Md
    Yeah I was talking about the perdiem. Thats good to know. Your team got my favorite college teams old quarterback. Good luck this year. We would be ok if we could keep BIG BEN out of trouble.

10. wannaotr

wannaotr Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    D1, you mentioned "if you're close to a terminal stop by and talk to the drivers". We can do this?! My hubby and I drove by the Modesto, CA terminal yesterday and would have loved the opportunity to go in and talk with some of them. I was tempted to try but didn't want to put the wrong foot forward.

11. Shiftin

Shiftin Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Central-New Jersey
    When doing a furniture run, do you have to physically take the furniture out of the trailor yourself or just bring it to the back of the trailor and someone else takes it off the trailor?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.