Help!!! I'm being forced to haul a unsecured forklift

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Lspilot82, Jun 6, 2015.

1. FloydNasby

FloydNasby Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Austin, TX
    It has to be secured. Period. Educate them. And cover your ### with documentation, but don't haul anything unsecured.

Moving Forward Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Didn't know for sure on the second one, thanks for clearing that up. Was parroting others.

I don't think the op ever stated if the trailer had any type of system on the side to secure it. But good for others to use.

Still kills me that either people don't care enough about others on the road, or about their drivers to follow through on this.

To the OP, how was this resolved?

4. Lspilot82

Lspilot82 Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    The issue still hasn't been resolved yet. Our supervisor is still wanting us to haul the lifts. I continue to refuse, however the other driver continues to haul them. There is nothing in the trailer to secure the lifts too. I've already looked into that. Those are 10,000 pound fork lifts and I don't feel comfortable just wedging them between stuff. I don't want them to move at all if I were to get into an accident. So I'm not going to haul them.

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  5. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    You havent lost your job yet, it would seem they know better than to threatin you. Ignore the super truckers that say suck it up. Tell them to get over here and drive it then.

Moving Forward and Vilhiem Thank this.
  6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have seen forklifts transported in a van with only blocking to secure them. As long as the brakes work it should not present a problem unless you turn over the truck. Personally, I would prefer to at least have straps to secure a forklift. If you are pulling a flatbed, the dot are not going to like seeing a forklift with only blocking to secure it.

7. Moving Forward

Moving Forward Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    Unless I'm mistaken, don't the securement rules by FMCSA make it pretty clear that a load of that sort requires more than just some wheel chocks and/or blocking?
    Time to check http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/cargo-securement/cargo-securement-rules to see what they have listed...

BTW, good luck with your search to find a better employer! I'm currently dealing with a very similar supervisor and almost identical load securement issue on a daily basis... but I refuse to run illegal for him.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    camionneur Thanks this.
  8. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Articles of cargo that are likely to roll must be restrained by chocks, wedges, a cradle or other equivalent means to prevent rolling.

Cargo must be firmly immobilized or secured on or within a vehicle by structures of adequate strength, dunnage or dunnage bags between articles of cargo or between cargo and the wall of the vehicle, shoring bars, tiedowns or a combination of these.

Sounds to me lie chocking wheels and dunnage fulfills the requirement (as a general rule), if it is done correctly. It doesn't say every possible means of securement must be used at all times, it just says you have to use something known to work.

And don't drive like you're empty...

Besides, why are chocks good enough for an entire truckload at a dock with a forklift rolling in and out, but not for a forklift inside? They are. Guess why, because that's what they're for. Just like the walls of the trailer are part of the securement, obviously if straps can be tied to them, they are strong enough to hold the weight, so dunnage or other freight in between does the same thing.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Remember, it is ultimately the responsibility of the driver to make sure his load is properly secured. You should familiarize yourself with the rules for how to properly secure your load. If your employer tries to get you to haul a load which is not properly secured, show them the rules. If they still want you to haul a load that isn't properly secured, I would find another employer. Most carriers are not going to push a driver to do something that is illegal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.