Help!!! I'm being forced to haul a unsecured forklift

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Lspilot82, Jun 6, 2015.

1. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Technically a closed trailer secures a load, just saying. I mean how do you secure a load of foam? You don't, just stuff it in there... so the situation dictates. Like I said, if you can drive in such a way that it remains stable inside (blocked and braced to whatever extent would correspond to common sense), I don't see it flying out unless something hit the truck hard enough to make it fly off the road, which would desecure any load for that matter.

More technically it may also depend on how the lift is powered and such, whether that amounts to securing hazmat, I'd go by that as a guideline, and point it out to the shipper on the page its written. Let them contact the authorities to ask about it, if in question.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A female pilot posted on here last year that's she making a career change to trucking because she's only making avg. $17K per year flying a regional passenger plane.

Lspilot82 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  4. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I'd rather sit on a forklift in the back of a trailer than go for a plane ride.

tsavory and Lspilot82 Thank this.
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Find a witness willing to verify reason for leaving with your new employer, and employment security if you will be wanting any unemployment benefits, then tell them to drive the forklift to other warehouse, or buy another one.
    If its not legal to haul steel coils in a curtain van without securing them, then its not legal hauling a forklift in a dry van without properly securing it!

tsavory and Lspilot82 Thank this.
  6. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    No, total incorrect. If the load moves, it is not secure.

I chimney block everything in a trailer,
    and use empty pallets and load bars and straps to secure the loads.
    It will save you time and a whole pile of grief.

If that fork lift moves and a DOT truck is next to it and hears something bang, they are going to pull you over and check the truck and the load.

DOT has and will nail you with a unsecured load ticket and will do a level 1 inspection on the truck and trailer.

I know, It happened to a fellow trucker and he got nailed big time with an unsecured load and a level 1 inspection of truck and trailer and got 7 other tickets of failed equipment of lights, brakes, log book being not up to date, not wearing seat belt because it was broke, an Out of service order and 2 tow trucks(yes 2 tow trucks)

Do not take any chances, secure your load and recheck it again and again in route to location, incase it some how moved.

Never trust your load will not move,
    It does and will move no mater what,
    And yes I have had to pick stuff off the floor of the trailer many a time because someone never put enoth wrap on that pallet.
    Or the pallet imploded in route to the next stop.
    It is a pain in the back but it is the evil of trucking and it keeps you on your toes.

Lspilot82 Thanks this.
  7. Lspilot82

Lspilot82 Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Thanks guys for all the input. Something I didn't mention that a previous poster posted, was that it is a propane powered forklift, and there for its HAZMAT. Even though it's a small tank, what would be the rules for that too?

8. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    Tank must be unhooked and secured in an up right position (valve up) in an approved cage away from the fork lift and the cage must be secured from any movement.
    Note most do not but some forklift cylinders have cylinder caps to protect the valve.

If the hose or tanks leaks propane you will be driving around with a ready to explode bomb. One spark and KABOOM.

9. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Actually between being an instructor, towing banners, towing sailplanes and scenic tours I blew through my 1500 hours in under a year. Looking back at my log book only about 15% of that was doing instructing.

And I'll agree 110% with your statement about not recommending it as a career choice. At a very minimum your going to make what equates to nothing the first 4 to 5 years then your going to be on the "extra" board at a major till you gain seniority. The up side is there aren't as many lay-offs as there used to be, the airlines are a lot more thrifty now days and have trimmed the less than full routes so they aren't over hiring pilots. When I got into it, we would work a week or two then get laid off for a couple months, work a few days, laid off..................

If your looking at becoming a pilot you have to do it because you love it not because your going to get rich.

Lspilot82 Thanks this.
  10. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    What about fed ex and ups?

Lspilot82 Thanks this.
  11. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Well all the "feeder" planes, the Cessna Caravan's, ATR 72/43's etc. are owned and piloted by contractors. Good way to build hours, horrible way to make a living. As for the heavy's they operate, many years and 1000's of hours of experience with an impeccable resume might get you an interview. The best chance of getting a seat in one of the company owned heavy jets is with a military pilot background. Not saying it can't be done, my sister is a retired FedEx DC-10/11 captain but she came through the military transport route.

If you can get a seat it's close to if not the best heavy flying job in the country. They treat their pilots really well, pay is above industry standard but the bulk of your flying will be overnight.

tsavory, zinita17601 and Lspilot82 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.