Help!! (interested in trucking) New parent, and need a direction.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Roscoe1289, May 13, 2019.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Do you work at Core-Mark warehouse in Tampa?
    Upon successfully reaching your 90 days point, you will be eligible to apply for our CDL-A Driver Training program - making $18.00 an hour while in training, earning approximately $22.00 per hour or more once assigned to a route.

Work hours are Sunday through Thursday 5:00 a.m. until approximately 2 p.m. The starting pay rate is $12.00/hr, with a $2/hr increase over two years. Employees assigned to work in the Cooler/Freezer receive a $0.50/hr premium. This position also qualifies for a piece incentive up to $1.00 or more per hour. There are 11 other positions on day shift, giving you the opportunity to promote. We also have a driver training program, paying you to go to CDL-A school at a pay rate of $18.00 per hour, with Route Pay (approx $22.00/HR) upon assignment to a route - you must be an employee in good standing, and employed for 90 days, to qualify for the Driver Trainee program.

Roscoe1289 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roscoe1289

Roscoe1289 Bobtail Member

May 13, 2019
    We have about 300 acres in paintsville, I typically work 55 hours a week now as a warehouse so I figured it shouldn’t be much more trucking, I have been told that averitt and saia will pay for my cdl as well, I had no idea about coremark so I should look into that.

4. Roscoe1289

May 13, 2019
    I work 55 hours a week now and the baby part is actually the hardest thing for me, I have been told I could get on with Werner and do regional but I have heard really bad stories about that company, thank you for your advice!! It’s a hard decision to make

Truckermania Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I recommend you try for tankers or line haul for good paychecks and hometime.
    Here's more information on Core-Mark > Apply On Company Site

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Gate Gourmet is local job in Tampa.
    Sky Chef's does the same and my have something available.
    Pay isn't too great though - $13.53 hr.
    More info here > Apply On Company Site
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can do better than Werner.
    Google for cdl school in Tampa area. Some may have weekend classes, so you can attend cdl school and not have to quit your current job yet.
    Once you get that cdl in hand, then flood the market with job applications.
    Sometimes cdl schools know about local work.
    One new cdl grad in Tampa got a local job with Twiss Transport, even though the website has 12 mos. experience required. We told him on here to apply anyway and he did and was hired. Probably make a lot more money though in tankers.

8. Roscoe1289

May 13, 2019
    Thank you bro! I have found one school call 1st class and said they can get my license for 4500 and roadmasters want almost 8k which is crazy!! I will look into everything thank you for all the advice!!! Your the man!!

9. Roscoe1289

May 13, 2019
    Also by any chance my dream would be to move out west to Cali or Arizona do you recommend moving out that way or just stay to the homeland?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I moved to Las Vegas from Tennessee; been here a year now. Yes, I'm a hillbilly!
    Nevada is good because there's no personal income taxes and no food taxes. We shop at Smith's grocery store, which is owned by Kroger. Smith's membership card is free, so we usually get about 20% off the grocery bill at the cash register, plus no taxes; so that's a lot of money saved on each trip to the grocery store.
    Plenty of good trucking jobs here for local/regional/OTR; take your pick.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Roscoe1289 Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Amazon announced they're opening a new facility in Las Vegas and the first round of hiring will be for 1000 employees @ $15.00 hr.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.