Help lease op

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by newbdriver, Jan 14, 2019.

1. newbdriver

newbdriver Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2017
    I was actually told of gt transport today being a company driver they allow you to pick ur own frieght... so I guess maybe thatd be a good first step before I try leasing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Haha not really. Are they letting you see the entire load board? Or just a few loads they selected for you?

I could throw 5 loads at you. Each equally bad for you. But made me mega bucks. And do the same when you dropped that load off.

It’s not the same as seeing what the load actually pays. Even if they’re paying you $1.30 a mile for all miles. Hell, they may be getting $3 a mile and more.

4. newbdriver

Jun 5, 2017
    Well they do it by percentage but I understand your point. From what I was told they tell you what the load is worth and let me pick from what is around me. I dont know a whole lot about them just what one person told me..do u have a company in mind ?

SteerTire Thanks this.
  5. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    No I don’t. Sorry
    Finding someone to lease with should be more of a personal business decision, than a simple recommendation from someone in the internet.

For instance, I ordered a truck last October. WHEN it finally gets here (it’s late now) I’ll be leasing it on with my current company that I drive for as a company driver. I could take it anywhere. But...

I know their lanes, I know their contracts, I know their people, I know them. And I choose my own loads.

Sorry that’s no real help to you. But you really need to dig much much deeper into this. Before you take the plunge.

newbdriver Thanks this.
  6. newbdriver

Jun 5, 2017
    Oh I plan to I like to hear other people's thoughts and suggestions thou since I have no back ground on leasing..always good to ask questions...but thanks for ur helpni appreciate it

7. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    It’s doable. Leasing a truck from a company. I know several that have successfully.

But you have to be very dedicated and focused on the business side of it. You’re not going to do much better than a company driver overall. But there is more freedom to be had.

Taxes are the downfall of over 30% of lease OP’s. Know that straight out of the gate. Older trucks with costly breakdowns take out another 30+%.

Fewer than 10% succeed. Success being defined as full ownership of the/a truck.

Chase revenue NOT miles

newbdriver Thanks this.
  8. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    The bigger the company, the bigger the Paycheck's
    For lease purchase.
    The mega's care about you and your family
    And want you to succeed.

So start at the top and work your way down.
    Swift
    Cr England
    Crst
    Prime
    USA truck
    Werner

You can't go wrong with any of them.
    When you sign the 50 page contract that you
    Couldn't understand, make sure you start
    A thread on TTR, about your daily activities
    And all the money your making.

We enjoy reading all the lease purchase
    Success stories on here.
    You can do it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Deerbows and newbdriver Thank this.
  9. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Its 115 pages lol

10. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    I have been running a lease truck since February 2017. I get paid percentage and only run the West Coast predominantly Interstate 5. As mentioned earlier by some of the other drivers you will not make much more than a company employee but you have a lot more freedom. Let's put it this way my gross profit before taxes was 63000 for 10 months. That is not much more than what a good company driver can make. But a company driver would have to drive a lot more miles than I did to make the same amount. So here's the skinny on how my lease works. I am paid 79% of the load 100% of the fuel surcharge. I am dispatched and get my loads generally at least 24 hours in advance. There have been times that I have had a week of loads planned out in advance which was nice. My lease is 100% walk away without any penalties. If I don't like doing it I just go into the office and give him the keys to the truck. I can take time off anytime I want and can refuse loads if I don't feel like doing them.

With all of that said I worked for this company as a company driver 4 a year before jumping over to the lease side. In that time frame I was able to figure out the main places they go to and where I would like to run within that area. Don't get me wrong I occasionally get loads going down to LA and I am not fond of doing those but it is part of the business. So if you're going to lease my advice would be find a company that has a lease program that pays percentage and is 100% walk away no penalties. Do not work for anyone that wants to pay you Cent per mile you will not make as much guaranteed. Once you find the company you want to work for get on as a company driver for a little while and then decide whether or not to make the leap. I hope this helps good luck

stuckinthemud and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  11. ChromeGetsUHome

ChromeGetsUHome Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2014
    @ newdriver, one of the difficult things to do is to refer someone to a carrier that will be a good fit for that person when little information is known about them. A couple questions: how much driving experience do you have? How much flatbed experience do you have? Is your work history stable? Where do you live? How often do you want to be home? There are a lot of people making a lot of money driving a truck these days - whether they have their own authority or are under a good carrier's authority - and while there are certainly companies that are generally very good for flatbed, such as Mercer, Landstar, etc., there's no one best carrier for everyone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.