Help me build an exhaust

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Antonovich, Sep 21, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Honestly if I was going to do it, I would try to find one in a salvage yard and buy what I needed.
    I want to say the parts needed from international come in around 3 grand, and that was over 10 years ago.
    There were even a few 9400's that had side stacks too, but the stuff off a 9300 was the same.

ChevyCam, Antonovich and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    And most 9600/9900. But used exhaust parts ain't worth removing.

mhyn and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I meant 9900 instead of 9300.
    The cab brackets are what I was talking about getting, that kind of stuff is or was spendy.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. Antonovich

Antonovich Light Load Member

May 11, 2019
    I actually am planning on visiting a junk yard / used truck parts place for the exhaust parts along with some more storage options. No sense in buying that shiny chrome when the rest of the truck looks old. As far as milage is concerned, I've already accepted the fact that this Cat C15 gets the same milage as the Space Shuttle, so might as well make it easier on myself when driving around my home city. Those NYC overpasses are a pain the ###, especially when most are not labeled correctly.

jamespmack and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Since your truck has the exhaust behind the sleeper there is a good chance that the cab isn’t reinforced for exhaust brackets by the doors. The cab panels won’t handle the weight of the exhaust without something on the inside. The most economical way to go would be a weed burner.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. Antonovich

Antonovich Light Load Member

May 11, 2019
    I've already asked about a way to reinforce the cab in case it's not already reinforced on the inside. If it's not, maybe a steel plate on the inside and several brackets attached to it to hold the exhaust.
    And I will NEVER get a weed burner style exhaust. I'd rather keep this big hunk of #### in back!

jamespmack Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    “But, but....

Those don’t look cool.” :rolleyes:

9. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    If you use any steel on the inside, make sure to separate it from the aluminum with a sheet of mylar and make sure there is no electrical continuity between the two. Otherwise, galvanic corrosion will eat a hole through the aluminum in short order.

10. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Head board on trailer, 2 big tool boxes on trailer, lot less work and won’t hurt resale on tractor.

jamespmack, FoolsErrand and loudtom Thank this.
  11. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Then if you’re going to do it do it correctly using factory parts and hucking them in place. I sold my FLD when the cab started cracking around where the inside had been reinforced by the previous owner when they moved the pipes up by the door instead of the weed burner it originally had.

Either that or try and use Paccar parts and have the exhaust solid mounted to the frame with the slide rod bracket on the top clamp so the cab has suspension travel.

jamespmack, FlaSwampRat and Antonovich Thank this.
  12. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    Bolting plates in place on the inside of the cab skin and then mounting the exhaust brackets won’t be enough, unless you don’t plan to keep the truck long and don’t mind if the next owner has to deal with the shortcomings.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.