Help me build an exhaust

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Antonovich, Sep 21, 2019.

1. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Put your headache rack and and build the stack braces off that. Leave the cab alone.

DougA Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChevyCam

ChevyCam Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Just put stacks behind the cab and infront of the headache rack. I have a 9400 mid roof with the single rear stack and will be converting it to duals side stacks from a salvage yard donor. 20190312_211829_IMG_8579.PNG Screenshot_20190922-114515_Gallery.jpg

jamespmack and Antonovich Thank this.
  4. Antonovich

Antonovich Light Load Member

May 11, 2019
    I'm willing to entertain that idea as well.

I took apart this interior panel, and it looks like there might actually be a reinforcement plate. I'm not sure if what I was looking at was an exhaust bracket plate or not.

https://i.imgur.com/bshR71d.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vu71KxE.jpg

jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    You’ll have to pull out a good chunk of your interior to get down to what you’re looking for. That looks like a thin plate used as backing for the cabinets to mount to.

6. Antonovich

May 11, 2019
    Hmm, well I guess I'll take apart some more when I get home in a few days. But I do like the idea of rear dual stacks. As long as they are straight piped and take up less space than that fat muffler.

jamespmack and ChevyCam Thank this.
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It is easy to install dual stacks behind the sleeper, you need to get the frame muffler mounts off of a factory dual stacked truck from a salvage yard, and may even have to move the battery box, but easy. The frame mount on a single stack truck is actually built on an angle, or at least the ones with the curved exhaust tip is.

A friend of mine with a T600 did not have a lot of room behind his sleeper, but wanted an enclosed headache rack. I ran straight stacks through the inside of the headache rack, and it worked well for him, and looked good too.

ChevyCam and Antonovich Thank this.
  8. Antonovich

May 11, 2019
    I'm actually liking this dual stack behind the cab idea better. Seems like it'll be less headache to install and I have more freedom of choice when it comes to the actual stacks. Not to mention no second-guessing the fitment of the stacks of drilling holes in the cab.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It is easy to do with cheapo salvage yard parts, and lots of the 9400's in salvage yards. I changed mine up, using a cheap parts truck I bought.
    Mine originally had 100 gallon tanks and full side skirts, I had built some hidden boxes and installed a 150 gallon extra tank. I removed all that along with the skirts and installed dual 150 gallon tanks, installed the small fenders for the steer axle, relocated the battery box and air drier too. I have not installed duals yet, because the previous owner of the parts truck had removed one of the straight brackets and changed to a single stack. he had gotten rid of the other bracket. Once I get another straight bracket I will install duals and the way they are built, it will be easy to build a nice headache rack between the two, using them for the sides of the rack.

10. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Had this box built for my 9300. Mounted the mufflers to the sides of the box. Very simple and functional. Originally had the duals on the back. Saved a little weight by ditching the factory frame mounted muffler brackets,and mounting directly to the box.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  11. ChevyCam

ChevyCam Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Looks good, got anymore pictures?

Tug Toy, DougA and jamespmack Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.