Help me help my hubby make a good choice

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Cruella, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Cruella

Cruella Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2020
    Thanks so much, y'all are awesome! I'm going to fill out the applications of the companies you suggesested, and have him follow up with Old Dominion, XPO, and SAIA since I know I already filled those three out. Maybe even "gently" try and get him to come in on the forums to get input as he's really leaning towards PTG on the hope of upward mobility.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cruella

Cruella Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2020
    We're in Nevada, Vegas area

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I don’t know what any of that is supposed to mean, but we do not have any team drivers at FedEx Freight. Other FedEx companies have 3rd party contractors that use team drivers, but those would not be a gateway to the leadership positions I mentioned.

McUzi and Gearjammin' Penguin Thank this.
  5. Cruella

Cruella Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2020
    Doesn't matter anyway. While I completely appreciate all the leads, my husband will not do teams. He says he has seen way too many bad drivers to put his life in the hands of one while he sleeps to do it. He thinks there are a lot of great drivers out there, but also way too many that shouldn't have a regular license let alone a CDL. So, teams are out of the question for him.

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  6. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Confirm. There are ZERO team vehicles in the FedEx Freight network. Many lay down runs, but never a bidded 2 person run. With the size and scope of FXF operations, they don't need to run teams, they can run meets and lay downs as they need to keep freight moving across the country as fast as possible.

Cruella, Gearjammin' Penguin and jmz Thank this.
  7. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Does your husband have a degree?
    It does not matter what the field is, it’s having that degree that matters if he seriously wants management.
    That was the requirement at Dayton Freight Lines, during the time I worked there. Not sure of other companies, but as most of the original founders of these companies are handing off to the younger generation’s, most of these young punks are college frat boys and they demand all managers below them have some sort of a degree.
    At the age of 50, as you state your husband is, I am afraid that ‘ship has left the harbor’.
    Thats what happened to me, I am 58 and applied for every mngt. position at my last employer, got 1 phone interview over the years. Watched younger, recent hires promoted all around me. And some of those were new to the industry I was in at the time.
    In closing, to others that may aspire to be manager, do it early in your career.

Cruella Thanks this.
  8. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Saia is showing two openings in Vegas, one linehaul, one p&d, that's a cool terminal too, one of my favorites to go to when I ran systems, always freindly there. Screenshot_20200927-092849_Samsung Internet.jpg

9. Cruella

Cruella Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2020
    Lazer, he has an associate's degree in business management, but he hasn't used it in many years. He spent seven years as an Area Manager with a larger retail company over a decade ago, until he decided to get his CDL and change professions.

Like you, I've seen the same thing over the years. They take schooling over experience because well, these kids are young and dumb. They think because they sat in a classroom, they actually know something about the industry they are working -- and this is in general, not just in trucking. I've watched it in my industry as well. Kids get hired right out of college without an ounce of real-world experience, and then they have no idea what to do, or how to lead the people doing it. I was a human resources manager for years, and I valued hands-on experience over college any day, so when companies started changing their stance, I got out.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  10. The Shadow

The Shadow Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    NC
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.