Help me PLEASE!! Turning around a trucking business

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Tiffy, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Tiffy

Tiffy Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Appleton WI
    I am not sure whom I would talk to to start hauling frac sand. I know our neighbor hauls frac sand but he venemously hates me (some silly hunting dispute...he thought I was baiting deer bc I left some pumpkins in the patch) so he would be of no help!

Let m know if you know of anyone I could be in contact with! :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Derrick

Derrick Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I drove a truck for 18 years, I am now disable, I have been looking for something to do, I live in Milwaukee and would be happy to come and help in anyway, 414 687-3731, Derrick.:biggrin_25514:

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  4. maxpowerss67

maxpowerss67 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2012
    Fort worth texas
    i am new like you guys had my ups (very short lived) and my downs still there, I started out in the frac sand business there is money in it but there is also alot of stuff need to get started, and now a lot of rate slashing, your not far from north Dakota i sent my trucks up there a few times from Texas and made good money but you have to find the right company that pays good, and drivers who will stay there for at lest 3-4 weeks! let me know if you have any question about the sand business there a lot of misconception out there.

5. YachtMan

YachtMan Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Wow... just wow.

It's a shame that a lot of your drivers didn't have the integrity to do the work like they were supposed to. Sounds like it could've been a really incredible small fleet to drive for. Might still be.

Experiences with drivers like that will sure make you believe in original sin! :biggrin_25523: They pissed away a really good opportunity to have a relaxed work environment with a nice boss. Their loss.

Anywho, just wanted to wish you luck. It's a shame ya'll aren't located down here in my neck of the woods.

dog-c Thanks this.
  6. JazzTX

JazzTX Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    @maxpowerss67 If you don't mind me asking, what company are you leased onto hauling frac sand? We are also in the sand business as well.

7. Tiffy

Tiffy Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Appleton WI
    Does anyone have any experience being contracted with CH Robinson? I was reading on their website that we would be able to contract with them (bc we have over 10 trucks, new equipment, etc). The thought of them finding our loads is very alluring, but at what cost? Is there a lot of redtape? Thanks for your opinion!

8. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

You might still have to call him daily, in fact if i were you I would
    Good advice , always be polite and busness like , remind him of who you are & what you have to offer.

See so many lose a good load because they go :biggrin_25510: on the phone when the person they called ( who likely gets 100 + calls per day ) cannot recall them or the service they offered.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You can contract with CH Robinson with a single truck. It is usually done one truck at at time. If you haul a certain number of loads in a month for a certain office, you could be assigned to that office. At that point, they assume responsibility for helping you to keep your trucks loaded and moving. Perhaps that is what you are referring? CH Robinson has a contract pretty much like all brokers. You should be able to read through the agreement and send it back in 20 minutes. They will need a W9, copy of your authority and insurance along with a signed contract. By the time they check everything and get you set up it should not take but about an hour or so. It is no more complicated than signing to do business with any other broker. CH Robinson is the largest freight broker in the world. You won't have to worry about getting your money. They have a lot of freight. Some is cheap, other loads pay well. I know a couple of carriers who use them exclusively. Once they get accustomed to you and how you like to run your trucks, they can help you to get the freight you want and the rates you need. You will still need to negotiate rates with them. You will still need to dispatch your trucks. The main thing that you will do with them is have a single point of contact. You will still be free to work with other brokers. In fact, I would recommend not relying totally on one broker.

10. TheBigDiesel

TheBigDiesel Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    You will fail at this endeavour. This is a fact. Sorry.

11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Sure enough.. One always have to keep in mind these brokers are likely very busy making and receiving one phone call right after another. Their main concern is covering loads if they're swamped. Which in the hectic pace of things is why they might not think to call on you for that certain load you like to haul, even though you've done it many times, they're human. That's why touching base is important. I've got one now (hopefully more in the future) that sends steady load offers asking what I need via text, we work everything out over text messages, and they never get posted. Another one in that office can never seem to remember me and is more in a hurry to get loads booked, have to call there with that one and keep a close eye on anything that does post. I've even missed out on loads that I would have liked to had because of that. It's nothing personal it happens. Can't get them all. Just have to work every angle and make sure you're on top of things. Never, ever get a temper about a missed opportunity. Someone posted this long ago in here and it is really true, people will always forget about a nice person but they tend to remember the jerks..

FLATBED, RedForeman and G/MAN Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.