Help! Needing advice ASAP re: my prescriptions on DOT physical & medical card

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ford_C700_Man, Apr 11, 2024.

1. TexasRiverRat

TexasRiverRat Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    I get a one year card because of high blood pressure. It doesn't bother me because I go in once a year for blood work anyways.

My cousin had a prescription for Ambien. That #### is scary to me. He backed his truck into his wife's car one morning, got on his motorcycle and wrecked it on the way to work. Woke up in a ditch and swears he didn't know what happened after wrecking three vehicles. He never took it again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I do put the last few pills into the new bottle so I'm not carrying two bottles.

But in all my years out here I have never had anyone count the pills in the bottle, or even ask to see it.
    Not even sure if it would be legal for them to be handling the pills because it might contaminate them.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The OOIDA magazine has articles about that.
    Also, in Tennessee the DOT officers would take food out of the truck refrigerators and ruin it looking for pills. Sandwiches would be taken apart looking for pills. They don't do that anymore in Tennessee because OOIDA sued the state. I lived in Tennessee when that was happening.

5. Ford_C700_Man

Ford_C700_Man Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2024
    OK, OP here w/ updates (and new questions):

First, my apologies for my long original post with a million questions. I thank you all for wading through it.

re: melatonin & other OTC insomnia sleep meds:
    I suffer from something similar to PTSD from an incident that happened to me almost 30 years ago; I almost died in a house fire. Oddly, it was similar to the infamous "house fire" scene that got played in almost every episode on the "Blacklist;" series however, mine really took place in real life. As a result, I suffer from re-occurring nightmares from that incident and often have troubling falling asleep because it happened at night when I was asleep. I was woken up by a fire fighter standing over my bed in a pitch-black, smoke-filled room....

Anyways, I also take melatonin like crazy and have been for decades! You build a tolerance to it after a while, as with almost all insomnia meds.... OTC or otherwise. I've tried almost all of them known to mankind, and Ambien is the one that works the best for me. However, I have been able to mostly keep my sleeping patterns mostly regular and in check and over the years, I've been able to hold jobs down, including driving jobs (non CDL) in the past.

re: my medical card
    I'm too late! My primary Dr already submitted the note. Just a few minutes ago, I just found out that the second physical went though WITH the Ambien prescription listed for insomnia.In other words my primary Dr wrote a note to the company's DOT examiner and he approved me for a 2 year card that expires 2 years from today.with no restriction ... provided I use Ambien as directed.

Questions:
    1) As I was told by that particular examiner's office personnel, supposedly the OTR company (that I did not take the job with) can retain my medical card since they paid for my physical. They're also claiming that I don't have access to it, and that if I want my own card, I'll have to pay for another physical out of my own pocket. Does this sound legit? It sounds fishy to me.

2) Since Ambien is now listed on my medical card, am I now going to get tested SPECIFICALLY for Ambien in addition to the regular DOT panel for the random tests? And is this never going to change? ... even if I stop taking Ambien and don't list it on my NEXT physical? Which brings me to the next question ....

@Chinatown
    3) I'm going to be taking another physical for the local company next week. What if I say I stopped taking Ambien (if asked) and just not list it on their questionnaire form? Is that going to throw up red flags? For them or other prospective employers? for the cops/DOT inspection stations, etc ...?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    dosgatos and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I can only caution you to make sure you notify the 2nd examiner of the first now unfinished physical and address ALL of the issues that caused it to happen. Trust me, you DO NOT want the FMCSA to toss your physical because of "doctor shopping". Understand I am not saying the examiner has sent anything into the FMCSA, but my advise is to proceed as if they did!

Rideandrepair, Wargames and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  7. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Never volunteer information that is not asked for. Never with hold information that is required.

Rideandrepair, austinmike and Numb Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I see this has been resolved but there is something else that needs to be said.

SO Ford dude, read what I have to say CAREFULLY AND COMPLETELY.

Others may dispute what I am going to say but oh well.

OK normal crap ...
    Work on your BP, get it down.
    Why?

Here is what the others won't say to you, and you need to know. You leaving off meds, no matter what they are is a sign of lying. The FMCSA DOT form is a federal form, it is something that you attest to as being accurate and complete. The DOT examiner has a duty to make sure you are able to drive safely, and if you lie or "leave out" information, then you are on the hook for legal problems --->>> cival and criminal action alike.

What I mean and you should take this seriously, we live in a society where everyone sues everyone else for stupid crap and there are creatures out there lurking in the weeds and in the grass looking for opertunities. They come from pond scum and they have with them other creatures who KNOW a lot more than you do and possibly some DOT inspectors about things like physicals, they will get your medical records, compare the two and then add this to the evidence that you are a very bad person even if the person was Mother Theresa.

SO be honest, play the game and get your card the right way.
    OK I saw that was resolved. I would drop the Ambien. I would have a hard time hiring you because my insurance company would need more than an examiner's approval, that drug is on their top ten no no drugs.
    That's ... well funny, this would never happen.
    I think you over think it all too much. relax.
    OK ... not a problem.
    OK good for you!!
    Nothing.
    Nope.
    Nope not now, if the other exam wasn't complete, yes but it is now so NOPE.
    Not all companies have DOT physicals, I don't require a new one and many others, especially locals don't either.
    Nope, they don't have access, that has to come from the courts for a specific reason. The State can require you to submit proof of a physical but that's it.
    Most recent one submitted by an examiner.
    NOW HERE IS IMPORTANT ADVICE ---->>> you can't just say you stopped taking it and make the claim. COVER YOUR ******, you have to have the prescribing physician write something about the prescription not being renewed for your records and do not list it on the form.
    NO. But as I said the courts would if there is a need for it, like an accident.
    Well find other means to deal with it, I would not take any drugs that risk putting me to sleep but that's all on you. IF you got into an accident, I guarentee you, especially in California, you will have to deal with being sued, even if it isn't your fault.

Good, problem SOLVED!!
    Yep, go back to the company and offer to pay for the one being already done or to the examiner and ask if you can have them do another one with the same information.

IMPORTANT - THIS NEW COMPLETED EXAM INVALIDATES YOUR OLD ONE, YOU HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHT TO DRIVE AT THIS POINT, YOU HAVE TO GET ANOTHER EXAM TO MAKE YOUR CDL VALID IN THE STATE.
    NO.
    Read my comment above about getting the prescribing doctor to write a note for your records about you stop taking it. COVER YOUR *****!!.

austinmike and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go with Post #17

Rideandrepair and austinmike Thank this.
  10. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Make sure the pills are in the bottle with your script on it.

Rideandrepair, tscottme and austinmike Thank this.
  11. Ford_C700_Man

Ford_C700_Man Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2024
    That's funny the company that I didn't take the OTR job with was based out of Tennessee. Perhaps that's why they told me their trucks get torn apart and inspected regularly.

Chinatown and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.