Help! Needing advice ASAP re: my prescriptions on DOT physical & medical card

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ford_C700_Man, Apr 11, 2024.

1. Ford_C700_Man

Ford_C700_Man Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2024
    Thank you answering all my questions. It is much appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    ...and you better believe that Tennessee DOT officers don't #### around, either! My company 'forgot' to pay an overweight fine from CA (shipper added 6k lbs to the load over what the BoL said...), and one of Tennessee's finest thought that I was such a flight risk that I spent the next 5 hours in cuffs.....

Chinatown, Rideandrepair and tscottme Thank this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

DOT officers, Highway Patrol, etc cannot search your personal contents in the truck without your consent unless they have a search warrant. They CAN look into your sleeper and measure it, for example, they cannot open cabinets/drawers without a search warrant or your consent. If you have something illegal sitting in plain view during a DOT look around, you could be in trouble for that.

I don't know anything about Ambien. But almost no trucking company will fail to hire someone just because they have a 1-year medical card, versus 2 year card. There might be some company, I don't know. That's the only reason I say "almost no company". BTW medication for high BP is not tested during a drug screen. They test for amphetamines, THC, cocaine, morphine and some other recreational or pain medications. If you forgot to list BP meds, and probably Ambien, on your DOT paperwork nobody would know. They only know what you write on the DOT paperwork.

Once you complete a second DOT physical exam/paperwork, any previous DOT card becomes expired. Since your latest DOT exam is not complete, I don't know if it "expired" your previous DOT card or not.

There is a big database of prescription drugs prescriptions. Nobody at the clinic looks at that database for anything but illegal drugs, as a general rule. Cops are not going to know anything about your DOT form. You have to register your DOT physical exam card when you get a new one, DO THAT. But the cops/DOT will only know if you have a valid "DOT card" or not.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

As soon as the 2nd clinic reports to the state they completed/gave the exam his first exam expires. The question is since the OP's 2nd DOT exam isn't complete, has the 2nd clinic reported the exam to the state. The 2nd exam supersedes the 1st DOT Card whether you report the 2nd exam to the state or not. I lived through this. That's why I know. Your reporting the 2nd exam isn't the trigger. It is the 2nd clinic reporting the exam that triggers the state action.

6. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    During your physical, if you dont get your BP below 90, you cant drive. Atleast thats what they always told me. He says go lay down for a while and we will try again, but after 3 trys , your done.

TexasRiverRat and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. tscottme

I think you have it exactly right. I'm not sure the incomplete exam will never be reported to the state, but that is how I would bet.

8. tscottme

When the TN Public Utilities Commission was still in business lots of bad things happened, unless you worked for the companies that were paying the PUC. That's a long time ago. Not even TN cops can search your truck without a search warrant or the consent of the driver or owner of the truck. I believe the company/owner of the truck can consent to their truck being searched, but I'm not sure. Just say "I don't consent to a search" several times but DO NOTHING to hinder the search unless you want a beating. Without consent, contraband can be thrown out at trial.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    Rideandrepair and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. tscottme

Nobody will test your urine for Ambien. Your urine will be tested for the classic "illegal drugs" like THC, heroin/morphine, amphetamine, etc. What drugs are legal in any state are not relevant to DOT drug screens. You might get a random blood alcohol test "blow in a tube for 10 seconds". It only tests for alcohol. It's not like CSI. They read the paperwork you just gave them and that's all they know, plus what they measure during the exam. If you have a prescription, make sure every pill stays in the prescription bottle that is prescribed to you. Don't move it to another container and don't use someone else's prescription.

10. tscottme

EVERY trucking company wants newbies to think the NSA is listening to every phone call, the FBI is watching every move, the IRS is monitoring your use of the company fuel card, and Navy SEALS will protect you when you get dispatched to Oakland, CA. NONE OF THAT IS TRUE.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tennessee Finally Pays Award in OOIDA Suit - Aftermarket - Trucking Info
    This guy, PSC Chairman Keith Bissell, was the one that had the officers counting pills, opening sandwiches, etc. He ruined a lot of drivers careers by lying. One guy, they planted beer in his truck; one single beer, and ruined his career. The driver was about 60 years old.
    Another time I was at the terminal on a Saturday, when a bunch of DOT officer showed up. Said they were going to inspect all the trucks. The trucking company owner and co-owner were there. They said, "You know, Keith Bissel is running for re-election and needs your help."
    The trucking company owner contributed a few thousand in cash and guess what; all the trucks passed with flying colors and not one single problem was found.
    Yeah, he won the re-election and another surprise; no one was running against him. At that time in Tennessee, any campaign contributions left over after the election, the person running for office could legally keep for himself.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    Wargames, tscottme and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.