Help!! Snow expected in WY UT area.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CDL CPL, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    The truck plays a pretty big roll in things. If you had a nice cushy suspension that seems to float over the bumps, a big sleeper with a lot of body roll, then yeah...you lose a lot of the feel for the road, and you've got a lot of surface area for the wind to act upon. If you're truck is also no longer than necessary to keep your trailer tucked up tight, well, shorter wheel bases are more squirrely. Also, tires play a huge factor in things.

I'm a 240" wheelbase day cab, riding on open shoulder 11R24.5 drives. It rides like a truck should, with a nice firm feel...front end has 16K springs. Bobtailing this thing really isn't bad at all...kinda fun, actually.

Oldironfan and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    If you don’t know how to chain tires, watch a few videos on how to do it. Know how because in the mountains there’s no data service to stream a video.

Have enough fuel to idle for a few days at all times. And also enough food and water for a few days as well on the truck. Extra blankets and layers of clothes.

Then you drive until you reach close to your comfort level, and park before you cross it. Every load can be rescheduled.

NavigatorWife, Dan.S and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    turn the jake break off.

Dan.S and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Patty, I grew up in Dexter and graduated HS in LeMars and I can assure you that the very same techniques used in driving in the snow and ice in Iowa are the same in Montana. How do I know that? Because I've done that too driving from Salt Lake to New Jersey in a snow storm.

Dan.S, Hammer166 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Going to Corinne, you’ll get to bypass 80 in Utah where it gets rough and take 84. 84 just has some sharp curves, no real grades at all so that’s a huge break. You won’t have to worry about chaining..,

Wyoming is pretty good about keeping on top of 80 with snow removal and prep work. But it is Wyoming, so black ice and strong winds are almost always a concern. If it gets bad enough, they just shut it down, it’s pretty common. Just take your time, leave plenty of following distance, and use common sense. If you don’t think you can proceed safely, there’s a ton of parking along 80 in Wyoming, whether it’s a truck stop or one of the many designated parking areas next to the highway.

Biggest two obstacles you’ll have in terms of grades will be dropping down into Laramie and then right when you go past the Fort Bridger TA. Just heed the posted speed limits, which could be as low as 35 or even 25 in spots in bad weather.

Use 888-WYO-ROAD, it’s a lifesaver. Always updated with current road conditions in every corridor and closures. Good luck.

NavigatorWife and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Yes there is a section of US-30 that is used sometimes to bypass about 80 miles of I-80 that is notorious for extremely high winds. That section of I-80 is from mile marker 310 (Laramie) to mile marker 235 (Walcot Junction).

If snow is thrown into the mix with the wind in Wyoming, then visibility quickly becomes a big problem. If one gets caught in a "White Out" condition blizzard, it would be wise to not get out of the truck... They can get lost literally 10 feet away and wonder off in the wrong way.

This is the site I use to pay attention to Wyoming roads... It is quick and easy... You can click a different district on the map at the top to view another area of the state... Also is updated very very very often.

WYDOT Travel Information Service (Laramie)

TravR1, NavigatorWife and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I know hwy 75 gets real and so does 60 during a hard blizzard but I would rather travel those roads then Montana.

9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Chains are required in Wyoming from what I was told. I went there a couple weeks ago (in nice weather). Hills weren't too bad I90 to I80 to Green River. A couple 6% grades on the 220/287 between Rawlins and Casper. Gorgeous countryside.

Take your time and park it if becomes too much.

10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Oh yeah... If you have a CB... TURN IT ON!... Other drivers can provide good info and are usually helpful through there. Ill be headed into that area tonight, I run it twice a week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.