Help??sounds Like All Are Bad

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by DEVILS REJECT, May 26, 2008.

1. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Sometimes a 'guaranteed' job is very, very good. Just ask the insider higher-ups at C. Our. England Advert. How many of those guys are named 'England'? Patronage is the way of the world in some places, even in the USA where it's supposed to be play a very tiny roll. Patronage plays a big role in Utah if you have the right last name and/or profess to the 'correct' religion. Yeah, if you fit that description, you'll be guaranteed to be wildly successful no matter how many (or how few) brain cells you may possess.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dbook

dbook Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a couple more suggestions for your opinions. After talking with a trucker friend of mine, and reading the forum, give me some feed back on these companies. Covenant, a sister to Express; GTS; PAM;Stevens; Willis Shaw?

Any comments would help. Thanks

4. thestoryteller

thestoryteller Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Kern County, California
  5. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    I drove a yr for what is considered the worst of them Swift, and I had a new truck and very few problems.. I worked in the paper industry fro 18 yrs and was laid off from a job making 64k yr, and yes that is factory, and not not supervision of any kind.. I choose truck driving as well, because I was always interested since being a child my self.. Do your home work and then decide which co to go with.. I to have heard great things about Schneider and would consider them again if I choose to go back over the road.

6. Rangerdroid

Rangerdroid Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yea bud I been scanning these boards, reading truck mags etc, all discouraging maybe I will get lucky and weed out the real bad and join a half ### one wtf? I feel for you guys and it pisses me off and I'm not in the business...yet

7. Wrench Turner

Wrench Turner Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Horsham PA
    Good luck in your "new career" choice. I myself gave up truck driving a few months ago and went back to it. However today is the last straw.

Last week I started with a carrier here outside of Phila. hauling petroleum. Went through training and was ready to "be set loose" by my trainer. I was looking forward to it.

Well this morning, at 5:00 I reported to work. Surprisingly there were no BOL's for me or anybody else on the day shift. A few minutes later, the day-shift supervisor came out of his office and told all 10 of us that the DOT is coming in today to do Audits and Inspections and that we should go home.

On the hour drive home, I didn't know if this is true, or the company is pulling a 'Jevic" on us. I called my wife and she said give it up and maybe I can go bacdk to doing Heating and Air Conditioning work.

I know not all companies are bad, but I am glad you are doing your research. I wish I did mine before I signed on with this company.

Good Luck and Be Safe.

8. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    Yeah, something is fishy. Sounds like what the local company I used to drive for did right before they tanked. I made it back to the shop at 5 P.M and the office was dead empty. I thought, WTF.

Next day I come in and the owners right hand man wants to "have a talk with me." I thought, what is is goin on. Then he says the company is going under and today will be all of the drivers' last day of work. Thanks alot, kick a hard working man to the curb after giving him one day's notice.

Trucking definatly is not a good business to get into now. Companies are dropping like flies left and right. I am having a hard time geting another job since I can not prove experience since this company is history and my other driving jobs where for O/Os with 1099s.

9. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California

Pissed on and/or pissed off, neither is desirable. :biggrin_25512:
    If you're already feelin' that way,
    you just might want to reconsider Big truck truckin'. :yes2557:

Hmmmmm
    Was your wife in favor of you goin' truckin' in the first place?
    "Give it up"?
    After only ONE day out of training?
    Not even curious what the second day would bring?
    For all y'all know, y'all just mighta walked out of a good gig.
    Maybe the D.O.T. WAS comin' to audit the company.
    Would YOU want to be hangin' 'round with an office full of D.O.T.?
    Perhaps sending y'all home was a FAVOR?

BTW, why did you get OUT of Heating and Air Conditioning,
    and into a Big truck?

I'm thinkin' the owner of the company felt kicked to the curb, too.

Just wondering --- when do y'all think a truckin' company owner oughta notify their drivers?
    A week before?
    A month before?
    A year before?

If an owner shares the company's financial woes, I'd imagine the most loyal of the new breed will jump ship and leave the owner high and dry for drivers to fulfill the company contracts.
    Replacement drivers cost money to recruit and/or train.
    That oughta help the company.

A few loyal drivers may remain to the end, tryin' to save their job, but they'll probably have to take up the slack, which may not be easy. But they stay anyway, hopin' to pull it off.
    They dig a little deeper and cowboy up.
    Git 'er done.

As hard as they try, they may not succeed, but they will have given it their best. Now they'll be lookin' for another job.
    Never knowin' if, had they all banded together, would the company have gone under.

I hear drivers
    want
    want
    want,
    but not that often do I hear them willing to
    give
    give
    give
    and
    take
    the good with the bad.

How did you get hired by the company that went under?

I think, truckin' isn't good to consider gettin' into at this time IF y'all are in a hurry, and go with the first truckin' company that offers y'all a job.
    Companies like that tend not to be too picky.
    They'll often take just about any warm body.
    Is that the chance y'all are willing to take?
    Sell yourselves to the FIRST bidder?

Dare to be picky.
    PICK the best fitting company for you.
    Go with the company(ies) that have a higher satisfaction rating.
    Why set yourself up for disappointment goin' with a bottom feeder company?
    Isn't that kinda like gambling --- with your future?
    Might have better luck playin' the Lottery.
    Ya reckon.

10. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    Two weeks would have been nice. Afterall isn't what all companies ask of you if you decide to leave?

I don't think most of the drivers would have left if they just gave a week or two notice. They had the mechanics working six weeks after the company tanked fixing the junk equipment so he could sell it at auction.

It had nothing to do with that. This particular company simply had too much unnecessary overhead. Nothing to do with drivers. A small company with 7 straight trucks, 8 tractors, and 12 trailers does not need:

A general manager A.K.A owner's right hand man.

An operations manager

A recruiter A.K.A terminal manager

Two secretaries

An H.R lady

A payroll guy

3 mechanics

Plus a few others I forgot about.

It seemed like they had more office personell than drivers.

I was hired because the recruiter/terminal manager took a liking to me and wasn't anal about "proving experience."

Who said anything about bottom feeder dirtbag companies? I applied to a local company very similiar to the one that went under, execpt much larger. What a waste of time, he couldn't contact the previous company (obviously) and I worked for various O/Os in the past so I wasn't able to be hired. Oh well, their loss.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.