Help to create business plan for tri axle dump truck company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BlackHawkLLC, Dec 13, 2017.

1. BlackHawkLLC

BlackHawkLLC Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2017
    I would like to know if anyone has knowledge on creating a business plan for a Tri Axle dump truck company hauling and dumping dirt, gravel, stone, concrete, milling & asphalt. Being that the trucking industry has many different variables and overhead costs. Some of the knowledge some of you know may help me have a better understanding of how to go about creating one for my business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cmrdev

cmrdev Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Just started one myself in august and I'm up and running. where you located?

4. BlackHawkLLC

Dec 13, 2017
    Maryland (DMV) area

5. cmrdev

Oct 13, 2017
    Oh ok. youre in a good spot then I'm in southeast pa. This is what I did and you can decide how you want to go about it. I planned ahead and did not want any real over head and bills. I saved up a hundred grand over the past 3 years.
    -Started LLC
    -Got Free DOT numbers off fmcsa website
    - started business bank account and got company credit card.
    -Bought 2003 peterbilt for 45k cash and put 5 grand into it fixing broken ####. Plus 60 hrs labor cleaning it up to like new condtion
    - pa registrayion paid in full 1600 bucks
    -pa sales tax 6 percent- whatever that came out to while I transfer thed= title
    - 1 million dollar liability insurance on the truck paid in full 6 thousand bucks
    - fuel tax sticker 12 bucks
    After all that, time to hit the road. You can go to any large company and put your name in and you will get work. big shortage everywhere with dump trucks in our area. I know a ton of people and can work whenever I want but ill pay them like 6 percent broker fee even so, I still get 85 bucks an hour on average plus half hour to one hour travel pay.
    I currently burn through about 30 gallons of fuel a day. So 100 bucks a day goes to fuel costs.
    So cant really say I have any over head.
    Word of advise, you don't need to spend the money like I did on a truck. I'm hard headed and just had to have a peterbilt 379. You can buy a nice mack rd for 25-30k which will do much better on jobsites. I have to worry about blowing airbags and getting lines tore out from underneath the truck.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  6. BlackHawkLLC

Dec 13, 2017
    Thank you so much that helped me get a understanding of what I'm getting into cost wise for insurance and liability insurance. Already set up LLC, business bank account w/ debit card, EIN number. Currently looking at tri axle trucks to purchase. but I wasn't aware you could get free DOT numbers from FMCSA website. will have to look into that. but thank you for the information and nice truck.

TruckCarol Thanks this.
  7. cmrdev

Oct 13, 2017
    thank you buddy. yes you can go on there tonight and get your dot number in about a half hour of filling easy stuff out. Be prepared for a bunch of misleading fraudulent idiots calling saying they are with dot compliance and all that junk. Fmcsa does not do that, I fell for it and they got my credit card number. My bank reversed the charges. Dot does require you set up a drug and alcohol random screening program but that can be set up at your med center where you get your dot card. It costs only 60 bucks a year through them. so like I said, when they start calling and harassing and posing as people from dot in regards to your new dot number, tell them to piss off and call them frauds.

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why an llc?

You do know if you expect to protect your assets it will not help you one bit.

cmrdev Thanks this.
  9. cmrdev

Oct 13, 2017
    Everybodys decision on what to do will be on different circumstances. I should say that I see a good amount dump truck operators run under llc around here. But yeah, do whats right for you.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. BlackHawkLLC

Dec 13, 2017
    then what you recommend? I have seen a lot of why an LLC, well what would be best?

11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Check your state about DOT number. In TN you don’t need a DOT number is you don’t cross state lines. No dump trucks around here run DOT numbers.

Getting a DOT number opens up a whole can of worms you don’t want to get into if you don’t have to.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.