Help With Clutch Adjustment.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Endlessdvr, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Endlessdvr

Endlessdvr Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Hi Guys Got a Crazy Question. I have replaced many clutches without issues....

just got a Clutch Replaced by a new mechanic and ran into a problem. we cant get 1/2in gap between the TOB and Clutch brake. its a new transmission and they replaced the pins for the fork. not sure if maybe the position of the fork was not done correctly but something looks odd.

Look at this picture. what are your thoughts. this is the clutch with the pedal released ( no pressure on it).

to me it looks as if the fork was putting pressure on the TOB.

Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    D692D3BB-040F-4E1C-BE71-DAF76F449BBF.png Looks like your linkage is all out of whack. Needs to be adjusted. Someone may have adjusted it to compensate for worn linkage parts, bad motor or cab mounts, depending on the design. Inspect all that. If it’s all good, loosen it up, till the forks are well away from the TOB. Make sure there’s no slop or wear in the linkage. Adjust the clutch to 1/2” gap. Then adjust linkage for proper free play. As long as linkage is all good, no worn parts, each time you adjust the clutch, thereafter. free play should automatically be correct. In other words, once linkage is adjusted correctly, leave it alone. Occasionally inspect it for worn parts. Making sure you’re not getting false free play, because of loose linkage. Little tool isn’t necessary, but it’s handy. Handle is used for gap at fork/ TOB. I think it’s 1/8”. As long as you get the 1/2” gap right first, you can adjust linkage to get the fork gap at whatever you prefer. 1/8” gap at fork/TOB, should equal 1.5-2.0”free play travel measured at the pedal. Then you can check the clutch brake, Should hold a business card with pedal depressed to 1” off the floor. Now you’re linkage is set perfectly.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Agree with @Rideandrepair, you need to adjust the linkage till you have free travel. Then adjust the clutch, and linkage

Right now it's like you have the clutch halfway depressed

5. YardMule89

YardMule89 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2021
    Put a clutch in my truck this winter and ran into something similar. Parts house gave me the wrong L cross-shaft and the keyway for the thick washer that indexes clutch lever was wrong and I didn't catch it until I had it bolted up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.