help with dump pto

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by wootoot999, Apr 8, 2019.

1. wootoot999

wootoot999 Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2019
    Hi,
    I have been all over this truck for days trying to figure out how to disengage the PTO with not luck.
    I have tried setting the truck in neutral and moving all three levers in every direction and combination possible, yet the bed always lifts when I pull down on the first lever. In gear, with clutch in, same thing - bed lifts.

Any ideas how to disengage this system. I drove about 5 miles and the reserve tank and pump itself started to get HOT. Lost some hydro fluid through leakage and perhaps boiling.

My pump is mounted in the front of the Dump right behind the extended bumper and spins with the motor.. It used to have a plow on it so there is no way to stop the pump from turning.

Everything seems to work great except that I don't appear to have the "turn off the PTO switch" that everyone always seems to refer to.
    see pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any help appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    Not being sarcastic...have you googled yr plight? Maybe contacted the pump manufacturer?

wootoot999 Thanks this.
  4. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    That round unit between the pump and the driveshaft(the unit with the wire going to it)is an electric clutch,like you would have on an air conditioner compressor, there has to be a switch somewhere to turn it on and off. Where does the brown wire on the floor by the 3 levers go?

wootoot999 Thanks this.
  5. Tombstone69

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Looking at it again,I think each lever is supposed to engage and disengage the pump, if you can pull the rubber boots up on the levers,you'll probably see switches on each side of the stick. You need to get the manual on the unit to figure out how to troubleshoot the system. That large metal screw sticking out of the clutch assembly doesn't look like it belongs, maybe someone rigged it to work full time. If you need to replace the clutch, it looks like a job(meaning not easy). It could also be something simple, try to get the service manual or at least the operators manual.

wootoot999 Thanks this.
  6. wootoot999

Apr 8, 2019
    Thanks for the help. I don't know who the pump manufacturer is. The little brown wire is just a speaker wire the last owner left when he pulled his speaker.

I didn't think it would be this complicated so I threw up a generic pump image. But below is the image of my ACTUAL pump. No wires.

Now there are 3 green lines leading right out of the 3 levers, and they plug right into the hydrualic unit as shown below. These are the ones I have been playing with trying to make it so that the bed would 'stop raising' whenever I pulled the first lever. But so far no luck.

Is it possible that the pto is supposed to be ALWAYS running?

See pics below for more details and thanks again.
    http://710coin.com/tempimages/aa.jpg[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    three green hoses in this pic go right to 3 levers in truck next to stick shift.

7. wootoot999

Apr 8, 2019
    PS: No wires that I can find anywhere either on pump, hydraulic unit or anywhere else. Maybe someone ripped it out?

8. Tombstone69

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    That looks like a fulltime system, the other one had a clutch and an actuater that engaged and disengaged the electric clutch when the levers are pushed. You can't even put a shutoff on that system or you'll blow a line or worse burn up the pump.

9. fast1buzz

fast1buzz Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2019
    colorado
    Don't know what type truck it is I might say International which makes no difference but that round part is a clutch and it is suppose to go on and off when the levers are moved. It appears as though someone at some time has use that screw to lock the pump on. That is what is refered to as a live pto. The old Oskosh we have at the ranch in Gunnison CO does not have that clutch although its spool valve for the blade, dump and wing attachment has a built in bypass so it cant damage the pump by dead heading it. I am guessing that the spool valve those three levers operate has the same features that the spool valve in the Oskosh has. From what you said obviously the truck runs ok. If that pump was dead headed it would probably kill the engine every time you attempted to start it. Unless you intend on using it to drive distances of more than 15 miles one way 30 total it should be ok unless the hydraulic temp gets way to high say over 250 degrees. That system is obviously Seely I'm sure they still use it today. Should be able to find it online.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.