Is it helpful to buy an older Mc number?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Newtrucker1983, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Excuse my ignorance, but my understanding is that, while it may not be so much a benefit insurance wise (but I think it does), it may benefit someone in the ability to get loads or get hooked up with brokers/shippers/receivers/customers, easier. Most brokers and shippers that I ever dealt usually run a history (score) on you before getting into a deal with you. Your history (score) could determain how that customer works with you.... or doesn't work with you at all. A brand new MC number may very well have a harder time getting loads & may have to accept less pay for that load than an established MC with a clean, experienced, established MC number.... correct? Again, I am asking, not disputing anyone.

Additionally, with an established, long term MC, all the companies/customers that have been associated with that MC number over the years, just wont question it... but even more of an advantage, is more likely to continue to call that company because its a trusted company/MC etc.

I just always assumed that's why people have always posted on TTR for buying & selling MC's here. ????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    In reality a new MC# works for CHR, TQL, Coyote (after one month), among others for the first 6 months learning rates and lanes and then after a year the MC# age should not be an issue in getting brokered loads. I am talking about load board loads only. There might be more required from brokers and shippers to earn their trust for their premium loads that they don't even post on load boards but I don't think that they can be easily deceived by some new guy buying a truck along with an older MC#.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    You have 1 full year in, who won't deal with you? Did you F up along the way and now you're screwed. What it sounds like to me

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  5. Newtrucker1983

Newtrucker1983 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Didn’t f anything up called several companies only one that I could find that would work with someone with a less than year Mc and dot is progressive

6. Newtrucker1983

Newtrucker1983 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2019
    If I screwed it up why would I worry about Insurance I would just dissolve current Mc and dot and open another company

7. exhausted379

exhausted379 Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2013
    He very well may have. Talljoe explained it perfectly and you still want to argue. It looks like you have your mind made up so knock yourself out.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Talljoe and grumpy both have a grip on it, but there is another factor involved.

When I bought up a few authorities from individuals going belly up, I moved them into my corporation and this allowed me to deal with brokers and shippers on a better footing with the corp being the front of the operation instead of being an individual or LLC with an exposed track record to worry about.

My insurance person also said that just because the authority was established a while back, if it is in someone's name and not an established corp (note not an LLC), then the person's record comes into play.

I know this is not what people think or claim but there is a lot of validity about how the structure that sits behind that authority matters.

9. ebill45

ebill45 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    Not really you can get your own for 300 dollars plus insurance which either way you ll have to get new insurance policy. The biggest portion of your insurance policy is going be the drivers record and the value of the equipment

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. ebill45

ebill45 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    you have to put it into someone else name not related to you. You can’t do that anymore. It’s called the cammiliom law. Then you would have to lease your truck onto that person. I don’t know anyone that is not related to me that I would trust that much

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.