Hesitant to make the jump. Frac Sand via flatbed for AmeriField

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by TheyCallMeDave, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Never heard of that company before. Up here in northeast pa wv and oh sandbox is offering 1000wk guarantee with a 6/2 schedule. Keane frac is pretty much offering the same thing except they run cans instead of boxes. I wouldn't bet the house on sand atm even tho it is doing better than a year ago. I run a pneumatic trailer except im on the cement side. right now were going balls to the wall working 100hr weeks. Last check was 1380 take home. There's still money to be made in the patch just have to work a lil harder for it. Other than a few exceptions idk where a company driver can make that every wk

TheyCallMeDave and 4wayflashers Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheyCallMeDave

TheyCallMeDave Heavy Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    Thanks for the detailed response and insight there 4way, I really appreciate it. I'm hearing everything you're saying, and it's just about in line with most of my thoughts/concerns. As far as just driving there on my own, I don't think I could pull that off. Financially I'm in a bind as the family and I are moving today and tomorrow to a new place and that's about drained me, so any fund I'd need just to get out there and survive while looking for a job would drain us completely. If I go, it'll have to be with an outfit that can get me out there quick with a job set in stone when I get there. I'm still up in the air on this as I had 3 questions I asked my "recruiter" on Wednesday, and I've reached out a couple of time since then and I've yet to ever hear anything back so I guess we'll see if I even get my email asking for confirmation about attending orientation. The only thing that is hard on me, is the 21 days on 7 off, and the fact that I know I'd be livid if I went out there and sat for a couple of days without pay, or only cleared a 1000 a week or something of that nature, which I know can happen pretty easily.

4. TheyCallMeDave

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    I hear ya Brett, and I appreciate you sharing your experiences. Recruiters do a great job of bs'in for the most part so I've remained skeptical from the get go of what's ACTUALLY possible, as I'm hard to convince as it is if it's got something to do with unfamiliar territory. Hell, I've had LOCAL outfits look me dead in the eye and tell me bald-faced lies about something as simple as a local run, right AFTER they watched me question a couple of their drivers before walking into the building. But back to the subject, this is supposed to be a "smaller" company with 57 trucks but still, a recruiters job is the same regardless of the company.....if a driver is "qualified" say what you can to get em in the door. I assume they figure that once you go through orientation, get your truck, and get your ### out there you'll either call it quits, or stick it out since you're already there because you have no other choice. Obviously they're betting on the latter. I've read enough horror stories of recruiters painting vivid pictures of greatness, only for some poor fella to sign on, get out there, and realize not a #### thing that was said is accurate.

Dave

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. viper822004

viper822004 Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2014
    DFW
    I can see you've never worked in the oilfields before. They don't give a #### if you run legal or not. I've worked hauling water and also frac wells. It's all about how much money you can make out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
    Reason for edit: Skirting profanity filter
    Western flyer and TheyCallMeDave Thank this.
  6. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Correct, I have not worked in the oil fields before, but that is irrelevant. Run as you wish, just do not come on here and cry about how the "company" threw you under the bus for running illegal and getting fined, put OOS, arrested or even worse, injuring yourself or others, or killing someone.

I despise greed more than any other human trait, it leads to nearly any other foul behavior exhibited by a human being. Your post is just one of many that reflect that, far too many companies and some of those who are employed by them embody despicable behavior, I hope you are not one of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
    Reason for edit: Edited quote
    austinmike Thanks this.
  7. TheyCallMeDave

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    I was supposed to be at orientation at 10am this morning, however I had to rush my dad to the hospital in the middle of the night. Long story short, I called my recruiter and said I'd be running a few hours late and his reply was "no worries, just make sure you get here, I'm counting on you." Not 5 minutes later I see they've posted a new add with 15 seats available, although when I applied, they only had 12 seats available. Ahhh the usual recruiter tricks and guilt trips. You gotta love it.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Unless you're getting a $10,000.00 per month guarantee, I wouldn't waste time with the 1099 job. After you factor in taxes and medical insurance plus deductible costs, it negates any reason to take the job. Add in the costs of eating in your truck and paying for showers and laundry facilities, and it's totally not worth being away from home,
    unless of course you are just looking for an adventure.

TheyCallMeDave Thanks this.
  9. TheyCallMeDave

Dec 17, 2014
    Tejas
    The oil field gig is not 1099, the local job was.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    I hope your father is doing well and that the new job works out for you!

11. viper822004

viper822004 Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2014
    DFW
    Yes you are right on that! If caught, company will look the other way and just fire you. I saw it happen a lot at the frac company I worked for.

I remember towards the end of the oil boom they had just fired a guy because he had received two tickets on his way from the yard to the well site. One for logs and the other for not securing properly a load of chemicals.

The next night after working 16 hours straight our boss asked us if anybody could help drive a frac pump back to the yard? Every just looked at him and said nope. Hahaha. He was so furious but what could he do? Fire all of us?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.