Hey fellow freight brokers/agents/coordinators....

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Homebrew, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Homebrew

Homebrew Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Shenandoah, Tx
    Well when you first start out, it's what you gotta do until you start making contacts. I've got 5 or 6 direct customers, but they don't ship regularly. I'm trying to build my customer base so I can get away from the broker boards, its a necessary evil. I can't take a day or two off to go out locally and try to find some customers, plus I'm in Houston which is notorious for horrible rates anyway. I'm trying to find customers all over, and the few I do have are in other states. The obvious thing is to pound the phones, and I do that, just looking for other suggestions and avenues, things other agents have done that they have had success with. I'm not trying to steal customers, but looking for techniques or methods to go about finding direct freight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I think you misunderstood my post. I in no way meant it as an insult. I've got a little more class than to take pot shots on an Internet forum. That said, I don't believe anyone here is afraid to call a spade a spade from personal experience. This definitely isn't the place to frequent if you can't take criticism, constructive or otherwise.

rank, BigBadBill and aiwiron Thank this.
  4. Homebrew

Homebrew Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Shenandoah, Tx
    I can take it, just trying to steer it back to a positive note. I know Mr. Marks has a negative reputation, he does not come around to our office, we have a separate office manager and do not use his tactics. I appreciate the info you've given so far and am just trying to learn.
    Thanks!

5. Pilot1

Pilot1 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2011
    On the front 9
    Mr. Homebrew - What kind of marketing abilities do you utilize? Sure; pounding out phones might work frequently, though it seems primitive.(starting out, its what u have to do) Just trying to see what your using for marketing. Sometimes using both in conjunction with each other, could prove to be a big sell point! Yes; your totally right about Houston being a "dull" point for rates.

I'm out of Ft. Worth, Tx; so we have up here 9 million mega carriers to compete with. So yeah good luck with trying to provide supply chain solutions up here! I found starting out that my best customers were not even in the same state as I was in. Just worked out that way. Your going to find that customers always seem to have inbound to Houston, for some odd reason.
    Also; your phone skills, your marketing abilities, along with your "door knock approach" may help you in timing the customers; for RFP approach.

Hope this is helpful.

Homebrew Thanks this.
  6. LSAgentOZR

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I was talking about brokers in general on the forums homebrew. Not Marks' or his agency.

7. Pilot1

Pilot1 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2011
    On the front 9
    Alright now - No more bickering..It's a new year; so that means all drivers/brokers/shippers/rec/drunks/panhandlers/whatever else hangs out at trkstp's.(feel like i left something out) will play nice this year! OR EVERYONE gets kicked out of the sand box.....LOL.

8. moblue

moblue Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    LOL! That's a good one. I don't know what those folks think we run. Mules maybe.

9. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    gheez, try to find a thread with LSAgentOZR participating where the topic isn't eventually about him. Or him trying to explain that he didn't really say what he said. pretty sick.

10. LSAgentOZR

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    troll-spray.png Looks like we could possibly need a 55 gallon drum for this one.:biggrin_25517:

11. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    trolling would be following someone around and discrediting them. I'm not following, it's kind of hard to avoid you. I mean they could practically rename "Ask an Owner Operator" to "Ask a Landstar Broker who doesn't know what he's talking about". I should report you for posing as an O/O for all the times you answer without making it clear that you're a broker. so sleazy ! :biggrin_25513:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.