Hey, guys. Just wanted to know a few things about Swift..

Discussion in 'Swift' started by swmtothemoon, Oct 25, 2017.

1. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    Doesn't matter. I left Swift in May for much greener pastures. When I was sitting for four days, I asked Sumner for anything local just to keep me moving. They claimed that they had nothing. I did everything I could to keep moving while there. Nothing. The only thing I ever did wrong at Swift was beg and plead with everyone that would listen for more miles. That, and put up with crap miles for six months. I couldn't make it on $200 to $300 per week anymore. It completely drained my savings working there. FWIW, I pulled reefer.

And about the cameras, I think you misread my statement, because you say that I'm wrong but confirm everything I said. Unless I'm wrong about the forward facing camera, i.e. the camera that looks out in front of your truck. Did Swift get rid of those too?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Anyone who can pass the hiring process at Swift will instantly have a leg up at other “starter” companies. If you simply call Melton they will greyhound you to their next orientation. You start at .41 per mile and s lot less BS than Swift. Flatbed is more interesting and fulfilling.

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Sorry if I misread what you said.

As to low miles, most of us don't have that problem.
    I have had low miles during certain times of the year, or when at a location that has no loads. But it has not been the norm.

Also, I average a bit lower because I don't like to run hard. I'm basically lazy. I like a break of at least 12 hours every night and I simply refuse to be rushed. I also take things as they come, with few complaints.
    But I still have a Gold rating, so my miles are good enough.

I don't know why you were not getting the miles you wanted or expected. Perhaps you were always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or perhaps it was something else.

ACO476 Thanks this.
  5. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    No problem. And I agree that the low miles were probably due simply to plain old bad luck. I’m not here to bash Swift. They gave me my start and I learned a lot. Some make it work and some can’t make it work. I’m sure it’s like that at most trucking companies. I was simply trying to give an honest answer to the OP based on my experience.

6. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Flatbed is a LOT more work than I care to do. I'm too old for that.

And I have had little BS from Swift.
    What little I have has was cleared up by simply staying my ground.

When I say I can't do something for safety reasons the discussion is ended, on both ends.
    Recently they wanted me to do Walmart dedicated stuff to the stores to 'help them out'. I said no, that I would rather stay OTR. After a couple tries they dropped it, and I am running normally.
    I often run out of route, taking toll roads or a different path because it is better for my time. Never is anything said to me about it.

BS from Swift?
    I run as I like and do as I like.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  7. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I understand.

My life with Swift has been very good, but not everyone can say that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.