HF Rig choices (Ham) / Freymiller Ham Truckers?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by wc5b, Jul 20, 2013.

1. wc5b

wc5b Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Flint, MI
    I am heading back out OTR again. I don't have anything very mobile right now so I am kicking around getting another radio in the near future. Until then I will most likely use my TS-570 in some way. I know there are a few obvious choices like the IC-7000. The receiver may be best in class for compact radios but I am wondering if there just might be other options that are cheaper or even more rugged. Seems the better receiver may be negated anyways due to the higher noise of running it in a big truck. I would like to hear from other drivers that maybe used or are using other radios such as the Alinco DX-SR8, Icom-7200, or FT-450 in a big truck and how they like it. Some radios just can't handle the noisy environment. How are these (or other ideas)? The Alinco right now is $520. That is a lot of bang for the buck! I would plan on using my Tarheel II and its not intended to be my primary shack. That is at home, so it does not have to be the cats meow. I would use it for Domestic Nets, Conversation with other drivers, and maybe County Hunters/WAS nets. Also would enjoy PSK31 in the cab during breaks.

Also, looking to know if there are any Ham Truckers that are running for Freymiller? Am I the only one when I get going?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    I am running an Icom 706MKIIG into a tarheel 100a-hp . I have thought of trying a Alinco but i just can't seem to get rid of what I got until it is junk .

I think it is because I am just to lazy to take the old one out and put in a new one !! Heck it took me dang near 30 years to stop using my HR 2510 in my truck !!!

4. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Run what you have, and remember the antenna makes a bigger difference than the radio...

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I borrowed an Yaesu ft897 a while back, the owner drives a dump truck and uses it in that when he is working. The last I heard it still is working and not giving any problems. I plan on getting an Icom 7000 for the new truck and a Scorpion antenna but that may be next year as of now. I considered the 897 but I like Icom for my mobiles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.