"Hi all" from the Philippines

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by VA CDL Holder, Jun 15, 2011.

1. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    I've been living in the Philippines now for about 1.5 years and I must admit that I'm getting a bit bored not working. Lots of free time and I actually miss going to a job everyday, can you actually believe that? I thought I'd never get tired of not working, but I am tired of it.

I first got my CDL when I lived in CA, I guess it was back in 1999 or so. I then moved to VA in 2005 and switched it over to that state. I still have it and it is valid until 2017. I have never used my CDL as a career option because I never had to do it. I decided to get a CDL because I've always had an interest in class 8 trucks. To get my CDL I went to one of those schools on Southern CA where they train you how to pass the DMV tests and not much else. I took my road test in a 2 axle International day cab pulling a 27 foot trailer, typical low budget LTL truck that is used by the driving schools there.

I haven't had a current medical "green card" in a long time, but I'm not worried about that right now. I figure I can get it done if the need would ever arise in the future.

My reason for joining this board is to keep up with what is happening in the trucking industry as far as jobs go, new regulations and the reputations of the OTR carriers out there. I could see myself actually leaving the Philippines in the next few years to try and pursue a driving job back there in the USA. I'm sure the boredom and seeing my bank account go down will push me into it at some point before 2017. I don't know for sure though.

Lots of good info here in the short time I've been looking on this forum.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JayBee123

JayBee123 Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2011
    Somewhere, Earth
    Hi VA,

I'm new to the forum as well. Kind of in the same :Ship: as yourself--except not in the Philippines. (The same :Ship: meaning, new to the forum and looking to stay informed about the trucking/driving industry.) Have a Class A, but have only done Class B work since getting my CDL. Looking into the driveaway thing.

Curious, what brought you to the Philippines? I've never been there, but have seen it from the southern tip of Taiwan on a clear day. :biggrin_1square:

4. VA CDL Holder

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm in the Philippines because my wife is from here and the cost of living is relatively cheap compared to the USA, for now anyway! I just decided that I was tired of working and watching the country I grew up in go to crap slowly, but ever so surely.

I realize now that they are definitely worse places to be than the USA, by a long shot!!. I also realize that no matter how bad I thought it was back there, it ain't nothing compared to some peoples lives over here. Of course, everything in life is what you make of it or how you view the situation.

I've just came to realize that I'm not one of those guys who can just sit idly by and watch life just pass by without participating, if you know what I mean.

5. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    Hello and welcome!:biggrin_25514:

Does your wife have a green card?
    I only ask because it took me forever to get mine, (I'm English, hubby is American), so please don't assume its just a formality because she is married to an American.
    Several years of patience and a good lawyer are the only way to go!
    I hope you got that sorted before planning to leave the Philippines!

Where in the Phils are you? Many of my coworkers are from there, mostly Manila, so I get to hear news from there all the time.

6. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    mine was just over a year--and an ok lawyer--but his assistants were the great ones

7. VA CDL Holder

Jun 14, 2011
    My wife has been a US citizen since the late 1990's. We recently moved to the central part of the Philippines called the Visayas, more specifically the island of Cebu.

The interesting part is that I am the one going to immigration to stay here legally. Not many countries will just let a foreigner in without a lot of paper work beforehand. Being married to a Filipina gave me a new home on this planet.

8. lil may

lil may Road Train Member

May 25, 2009
    Best Of Luck and Welcome to the forum

9. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    Wow. I've been told that Cebu is absolutely beautiful, some of the best beaches on the planet. Enjoy!

10. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    Welcome to the forum! Trucking in paradise..... hmmmmmm:biggrin_25526:

11. dirtsquirter

dirtsquirter Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2011
    rmxer08@yahoo.com
    Hi, Welcome to the forum, lots of great info here - I am currently in Leyte, not far from Ormoc city, been here 2 years next month and can't wait to get back to the daily "grind". I love it here, but have come to realize my wife and son are really the best of what this place has to offer. I am waiting for the final stage of my wife's visa, going to Manila for the medical and interview, then I am gone! I have tried 3 different businesses here, and none have made me enough to be self-sufficient. The last one , the one I am doing now, is really starting to take off, but it's to little to late, as we have already decided to move to the states. I am a baker by trade, so I have introduced this sleepy island to real Italian breads, and sweet baked goods. Some day we will come back here to retire, and I will know exactly what to expect - I wouldn't trade this experience for anything, I have enjoyed almost every minute, (except the brownouts on a summer afternoon), but now it's time to "hit the road"...:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.