Hi all, Name is Tim and I am starting trucking school this Monday

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by FATBOY2008, Aug 23, 2018.

1. FATBOY2008

FATBOY2008 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2018
    So I am 59 years old and worked int the IT field for over 30 years. Got really tired of it and due to the fact that I had money saved I left the field on good terms and decided to do some camping and Volunteer work at a few animal shelters for the past 8 months. So I got bored adopted an 11 year old dog who is 18 pounds and her name is Trudy. I was thinking about going to Roehl for there trucking school until I spoke with my rep at the Wisconsin VA. He told me that if I decide to start driving a truck they will pay my tuition. Well, after more research I decided this was the way to go. I began studying for my Learners Permit, got my DOT physical, passed the written test the first time for General Knowledge, Air Brakes, and Combination Vehicles. I have a close friend that has been driving for Roehl for many years and I have spoken to him pretty extensively. Sounds like a pretty good company to work for. Big difference between the 2 of us is he has a family and likes being home every weekend. He has been there long enough that he stays pretty local on dedicated routes. I myself have no family and Roehl has now become pet friendly so I can bring Trudy with me. I am more than willing to be out on the road for many weeks at a time. I have always been somewhat of a loner anyway. I contacted Roehl to see if they hire newbies like me fresh out of driving school and they said they do. I am looking for recommendations on what topics to bring up and ask them with regards to pay, etc.. Any and all information from you experienced guys would be much appreciated/ Thanks in advance, Tim

Kyle G., gentleroger and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Sit down, make a list of everything you can think of, call recruiter tomorrow and let er rip.

Puppage and FATBOY2008 Thank this.
  4. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Tim, what they charging you for that course? contract length?

5. FATBOY2008

Aug 23, 2018
    School is about $3000.00 total, but my GI bill pays for about $2600.00. No contract as this is a Vocation School through the Wisconsin Technical College system. They state they have a 92% placement rate. I have no doubt I when I start with any company I will have to train awhile longer. School is 10 weeks. First week Monday through Friday 7AM until 5:30PM and then last 9 weeks is Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 7AM to 5:30PM. 14 students and 4 instructors. supposedly get 300 hours of drive time.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can you pass a hair follicle drug test? Better not have tried any weed in the last 12 months or they'll send you packing.

snowmantrucking101 Thanks this.
  7. FATBOY2008

Aug 23, 2018
    I am clean as a whistle

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. FATBOY2008

Aug 23, 2018
    By the way you should do further research on this. THC metabolites can actually stay in your hair forever, and I do mean forever. They did a test on a writer where he had been dead for 167 years and still found metabolites in his hair. Having said that hair testing only goes back 90 days ( of course police can go back as far as they want) because the further back you go the price begins to skyrocket. 90 days is about roughly $200.00 through a corporate account that does a lot as they get somewhat of a volume discount, but after 90 days that cost can triple. Most companies only go back 90 days due to cost.

speedyk Thanks this.
  9. Av8torcrj

Av8torcrj Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2015
    I admire your ambition as perhaps a more mature guy to get out there and try something new and exciting. I got my CDL at 49.
    I think you will appreciate the more relaxed pace of a votech school over a rushed factory school. I did.
    It can be a demanding and at times frustrating job but you sound like the type that will enjoy it for what it is. Traveling with the pup should be a blast. Good luck to you.

Chrisnva Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Need to be clean 90 days for urine test.
    Drivers have posted on here they tested positive on hair test when they haven't done anything for 10 or 11 months. This is for trucking companies.

11. FATBOY2008

Aug 23, 2018
    You sound like either a cop, a person that has been injured by a trucker who was high, an owner of a trucking company, a person that was busted, or had a love one who was injured by someone that was high. Please do not tell me that you are the type that believes anyone and everything on the web. Is this how you greet every new user on this site? Just making every attempt to scare people from the business? Nevertheless if someone, or anyone is the nervous nellie type and has a history of drug abuse, there are dozens of labs where you can send in your own hair samples and pay to have them tested. If I had that concern I would be going to one of those labs. These are usually the same labs the trucking companies and government agencies use. Parents use them to see if there kids are getting high for the most part, but anyone can use them of course for a fee. So, please if you have any other information to provide that is constructive and not so negative, please share.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.