Hi all, Name is Tim and I am starting trucking school this Monday

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by FATBOY2008, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    OK

lagbrosdetmi Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Av8torcrj

Av8torcrj Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Good job China, great restraint. Keep on trucking.

lagbrosdetmi and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    That's good training man. Good luck & Thank you for your service!

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Or he sounds like an expert in the hiring practices and is trying to help you avoid an "issue".

We don't know who you are or what your history is. Recreational pot is mainstream these days, and isn't a deal breaker in most industries. It us in ours, and we get a lot of posters who say "but I didn't know they were going to do a hair test".

Had you said you could not pass a hairtest China would have pointed you to companies that only do urine.

MBAngel, 88 Alpha, frizzbees and 2 others Thank this.
  6. FATBOY2008

FATBOY2008 Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2018
    I see sorry I was not aware, I will not have any issues with a hair follicle test, as I have not smoked any weed since I was a teenager, before I was in the military ( they did not screen back in those days) so my apologies I was not meaning to be rude. I have done research into these test and even though the hair follicle test is not required by DOT (I am sure you know all this as well as China as he seems to be pretty much an expert on the subject, and being new here I thought he was just pulling my chain, now I know better and will not be such an ###) I understand more companies are requiring the hair tests for insurance purposes and for many other reasons. Do all trucking companies require these test now? If not maybe they should start as even though false positives can occur it is pretty rare. Like I stated if people have a concern they can test them for them self. Yes testing is going to cost you (A couple of hundred bucks for a reputable firm and it will also take maybe a week to get your results) but if someone wants peace of mind it maybe a good idea. Even though I don't drink hardly at all (when I am camping maybe and I tried to have 4 beers a few months ago while I was camping and puked my guts out (i have become an wimp) I do like to socialize. I have been around folks who smoked pot but never touch the stuff myself ( well not in the last 43 years) but since I have been around the smell I opted to go to a lab a few weeks ago and had a urine test done and all came back negative.I may also pay for a hair test on my own just to be safe. I have the cash and it surely wont hurt. I have heard many times that just being around others who have either smoked or are smoking can make a person test positive even from months. Once again China my apologize for being an #######

MBAngel and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. Chrisnva

Chrisnva Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Not that I have anything to worry about but does Abilene do hair follicle test ? I was on and off pain meds from feb to may. And is tramadol on the no take list? I can’t find it. I take it now but will come off it if it’s a no-no.

8. noodle345

noodle345 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Idaho
    What was your experience getting into trucking at 49? I am 51 yo female wanting to start a truck driving career. Any advice for us older folk?

9. noodle345

noodle345 Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Idaho
    I really hope you will post throughout your next few months. I want to hear about all the experiences getting through school and dealing with the recruiter, etc.

10. Av8torcrj

Av8torcrj Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2015
    Probably the easiest way to answer your question is to hear more about your motivation, interest and concerns about getting into trucking and then I can maybe offer some insight from my perspective. My general experience runs the gamut from being extremely content with the decision to wanting to slit my wrists. It definitely has its pros and cons, literally and figuratively.

11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Some of these might be good to know before or during company orentation.
    It would be good to know about breakdown pay. What happens when the truck breaks down, how much will they pay you to sit and wait. Will they pay your hotel or will the truck manufacturer reimburse the hotel cost? (If the truck is under warranty)

Layover pay. What if they can't find a load and you sit for a day. How much is layover pay?

Detention pay? What if you go to pick up a load and it takes 5-7 hours to get loaded. You might get $20hr after the third hour, or second hour of waiting. How much and when?

TONU ( truck ordered not used) you go to pick up a load and the shipper gave the load to some other carrier. You should get paid something to going there. Someone needs to cough up some money. Or your company had someone else pick up th load but didn't tell you. You don't want to go there for free...

Do they let you do minor repairs? A trailer is missing a mud flap or had a licence plate light that is out. Do they reimburse you for parts and pay you to fix it? Or do you need to notify them and let them call for a road service to come and fix it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    FATBOY2008 and noodle345 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.